CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2

Ben

I walked up and down the driveway of Brooke’s new house. Luckily it was a really warm day, not like where I live. Brooke moved from Chicago to Arizona in a car. Long drive for her, short drive for me.

    I waited for someone to open the door and welcome me inside. I saw a familiar face looking at me through the window, but they won’t open the door. Finally the face was gone and the door opened. I walked inside. Everybody stared at me. “Brooke, he looks just like you.” said a little girl. Another girl that looked a few years older than her sat next to her. Brooke sighed. “He’s my brother.” she said. I smiled a little. “I’m Ben.” I said. Brooke walked closer to me. “What are you doing here?” she asked me.

    “I need to tell you something. Privately.” I answered. A tall man stood up. “I’m Jake Lanson,” he said. “Brooke’s new father. And I know that you might be her brother and all, but I still would like to know if you’re new parents know you’re here.

    “They do.” I said. Jake nodded. “Follow me.” said Brooke. I took off my shoes and followed Brooke upstairs. She opened a door and we both walked into a large room. There were three beds, a TV, and a bathroom. My dream room, but not much of a dream anymore.

    “What do you need?” asked Brooke, sitting on the bottom of a bunk bed. I sighed. “I don’t know if you like your new family or not, but I want to run away. I miss having you around. You’re my sister, but you don’t feel like it anymore.” I said. Brooke didn’t say anything. A light clicked over my head. Not literally, though.

    “Did you read my journal?” I asked her. She shook her head. “I forgot where it is, though.”

    We both looked around her huge room. “Lets try your backpack.” I said. Brooke nodded. I opened her backpack and saw a familiar soft, brown cover at the bottom of her backpack. I reached to the bottom, but instead of grabbing the journal, I grabbed a picture of a boy I never saw before. Our dad, maybe?

    “Don’t look at that!” shrieked Brooke, snatching the picture from me and shoving it in her pocket. “Who was that?” I asked. I found the journal and put it next to me. “No one.” she said. I gritted my teeth. “Who was that?” I repeated. Brooke sighed. “It’s just a friend, okay? Now, can you show me what you wanted to show me?” I sighed and opened the journal. I kept flipping the pages, but then I stopped and stared at the page that showed my plan. I handed it to Brooke. She is a slow reader, so I looked around her room as she read.

    She put down the journal. “Ben, it will never work.” she said. I turned to her. “Yes, it will. It can work. Tell me, Brooke.” I said. “Do you even like your new family?” Brooke didn’t say anything. We just sat there in silence for a few minutes. I broke the silence. “Well?” I asked. She sighed and nodded. I was shocked. “How could you?” I yelled at her.

    “Ben, they’re really nice,” she said in a calm voice. “They treat me like family, Chloe treats me like she’s my sister.”

    “She’s not your sister!” I yelled. I found a picture on her desk, so I threw it. I didn’t have a chance to see that the picture was of me and her on our seventh birthday. I ignored the picture. “You’re my sister! They’re not family! I’m your family!” I pointed to myself. She didn’t say anything, but a tear rolled down her cheek. “Ben...” she whispered. I grabbed my journal. “I’m out of here.” I said, walking out of her room. The last thing I saw was another tear roll down Brooke’s cheek.

    I put on my shoes and walked out of Brooke’s house before the blonde girl, the tall guy, and the little girl can say anything. I walked down the sidewalk into the city. People started pointing at me and yelling things at me. I don’t care. I know where I’m going.

My legs were starting to hurt. Really bad. I sat down on a bench at the park to let my legs rest, but a few minutes later, someone told me to get off their lawn. “Lawn?” I asked. “This is a park.”

“No, this is my house, and you’re on it!” yelled the person. I sighed and walked back into the city, when my legs started to ache more. I sat down at a table by a ice cream parlor, but then I was yelled at again. So finally I just walked back to Brooke’s house. I found her sitting there on her front step. She looked up at me.

“Sorry that I don’t want to do the running away thing.” she said. I shrugged. “It’s fine.” I said. “I’m just going to do it myself.” She shook her head. “What about your family?” she asked me.

    “My family betrayed me. Dad died, mom gave us away, and you seem to doubt your own brother. So I don’t really know about my family.” Brooke didn’t say anything. She took a deep breath. “Just go.” she whispered. I stared at her. I sighed and walked away, just how she wanted me to.

    My parents met me at a hotel. They were staying there for the night, so I guess I was, too. They looked at me. “Ben!” said my mom. “You look like someone beat you up!” I shook my head. “I walked from Brooke’s house to the city.” I said. My dad rolled his eyes. “Stop talking about stupid Brooke.” he said. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. “Brooke is not stupid, she’s my sister.” I said.

    “She was your sister, Ben,” said my mom. “It’s time to step out of the past and into the present.” I took a deep breath and tried not to go crazy. “She’s still my sister, and she always will be,” I said. “You guys aren’t my real parents.”   

    They both gasped. “Benjamin Loyd!” said my mom, standing up and giving me the look that most moms give to their children when they’re mad. “Actually, I’m Benjamin James. I have a sister named Brooke James. Any other questions?” I said. I couldn’t believe that I just said that. I never said that to anyone, especially an adult. They stared at me. My mom sighed.

    “I think it will be best for all of us if you just leave, Ben.” she said. I shrugged. “Fine,” I said. “I will.” I grabbed my luggage and walked out of the hotel without looking back.

    I looked up and stared at the door in front of me. It was Dan's, a friend of mine. He was my friend since I first came to Longroad Junior High. He’s actually pretty nice.

    I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. I heard the sound of footsteps coming at the door. Then I heard the sound of a lock, and the door opened. It was Dan’s sister, Phoebe. She stared at me. “What are you doing here, Benjamin?” She asked, crossing her arms. Phoebe is two years older than Dan and I. She is a real pain in the neck. She also liked to call me Benjamin, because I hate it.

    “I need to talk to Dan.” I said. Phoebe shrugged. “Whatever.” she said, opening the door more for me to come in. I took my luggage and walked inside. Phoebe closed the door behind her and turned to me. “So, have you seen Brooke lately?” she asked as I took off my shoes. I nodded.

    “I saw her not so long ago.” I said. I remember what time I saw Brooke: 4:30. What time is it now?

    “Hey, um, what time is it?” I asked. Phoebe looked at her watch, then back at me. “Thirty minutes to six.” she said. I nodded. I walked up the stairs to Dan’s room. When I walked inside, Dan was on his computer, watching a video. His headphones were plugged in the computer. He can’t hear me.

    I tiptoed to his drawer, which was right next to his bed. I opened the top drawer carefully, hoping that Dan won’t look at me. Right when I opened it, I saw the first thing I needed. Money. I took three twenty dollar bills and shoved them in my pocket. I closed the drawer and went back to the door, pretending like I just got to his house.

    “Hey, Dan,” I said. Dan turned to me and took out his headphones. “Hey, Ben.” He said, putting his headphones on his desk. “So, what did you get on the science test?” I asked, sitting on his bed. I have to act casual. He shrugged. “Don’t know, don’t care.” Dan put his headphones back on. “Ben, um, can you leave?” he asked me. I nodded.

    “Sure.” I said. I took my suitcase, walked downstairs, and left his house for good.