Chapter Four - Kidnapped Freedom

Mated to a Monster Chapter Four

"I won't tell anyone about any of this I swear - I know you picked me because you needed me- needed this," I held up the memory stick as I bumbled through my words.

"Watch it," Kai said through gritted teeth, his large hand wrapping around my wrist pulling it down. I looked around apologetically, perhaps this wasn't the most discrete place to talk, I thought, as the swarm of people bumbled past us. We had just got out of mandatory training, today had been a physical self-defence class, it had been intensive but enjoyable. I had been angling my way around the gym hall trying to get closer to Kai, to talk to him but it seemed like every step I took in his direction he took one away from me, almost as if on purpose.

"Here," I said dragging him into one of the empty classrooms.

"I don't want to go, but I don't want to die either," I told him after a deep breath

"No," he said plainly.

"Look I wont tell anyone, and here," I said shoving the memory stick into his chest "you've got what you want now, why would you still want me to come, I'll probably just slow you down,"

"I promise this way its better, if you don't come with us - I will terminate your life and everyone else on the escape plan. Do you really want that on your conscience?"

"You wouldn't,"

"I'd have to," I looked away from him, trying to weigh up my options. Go - and leave my family, my friends, my life, for something unknown or stay and risk Kai holding true on his promise, survive or die. He had me cornered and he knew it.

"What happens now?" I asked slowly,

"You'll receive a map -memorise it. Have you received your group in the games yet?"

"Not yet, but someone at work said that I was probably in the second group," I said starring hard at his shoulder. I didnt want to look at him, I had lost, I had to go, this is not what I wanted.

"Tell me which group your in as soon as it has been confirmed officially," he said, I didn't answer.

"After you," he said ending our conversation as he politely opened the cupboard door, I stepped out to meet the sight of Octavia whipping her head round in time to see us step out. Her withering glare set in our direction. Kai walked past her as if he didn't even see her, which only intensified the hatred in her eyes.

The next few weeks passed by in a blur, Uncle Max knew the escape plan as I had gone over my options with him a million times. He had, every time insisted that everything would somehow be fine, it was surprisingly optimistic - especially for him. He insisted that I just go along with the escape plan, that he could handle any interrogation once I was gone. I bought him a burner phone and memorised the number on the sim card. If the government didn't know about this phone they couldn't monitor it so I would use it to contact him as soon as I escape.

Jess had moved back after a few days. We had hugged it out but it felt like putting a plaster over a bullet wound. She was working with the patrol officers as a snitch in order to rise ranks. That was never something I would be fully okay with. I started to be careful around her, hid the prohibited items I owned away, careful not to talk about my escape when she was in the house.

Eventually the letter came, my official request for presence at the Trials. As predicted I was set in Group Two, Jess was in Group One, this was unusual, usually we were placed in the same group but I didn't question it. When I told Kai what group I was in he smiled, I think it was the first time I had actually seen him smile.

"Thats good, there are quite a lot of us in group two, it might make it hard to be conspicuous when we escape but at least you wont accidentally get lost," I knew he really meant that there was less of a chance that I would bail on the plan but I gritted my teeth and nodded back at him.