Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Gymnasium turned out to be a terrible description of the location of the physical training. Nick followed Naomi and Keith to a massive expanse of land, much larger than the area the first years had trained at. The location had multiple tracks, giant fields, and enormous stone buildings.

As they approached, Nick could see other physicals lining up on the field below them, and he easily spotted Marcus and the other first years. Their also appeared to be second and third year students with them, and Nick remembered they were all to start training together based upon their skill level.

"Eh, you're not going down there just yet." Keith grabbed his arm as he started towards the field. "Today, you're in for a treat."

"It's so nice the two of you get to play while I have to work." Naomi was starting to walk towards the group. "Don't have too much fun with Keith Nicky, I'll get jealous." She winked at him before she disappeared.

"Where is she going?" Nick asked as Keith dragged him towards the largest building.

"Since she is technically the head advisor, she gets to babysit... I mean, oversee, the integration of the first years with the other Phys."

"And I'm not going down there why?" As much as Nick hated the other first years, he didn't mind the thought of being overseen by Naomi.

"Because Nicky, today you get to hang with the big kids." As they approached the building, Nick couldn't help but stare. It was a massive stone building, with ornate pillars with various creatures dancing along it. In the center, a giant lightning bolt. Something in Nick's memory stirred.

"The party is inside buddy." Keith nudged him along. The inside was surprisingly bright, a massive room already filled with physicals, and strange machines. "Try not to embarrass me." Keith walked towards the group of physicals, leaving Nick to wander after.

"Who's the kid?" That was fast. A fourth year leaning against a wall was staring with distaste at Nick's armband. There were roughly a dozen physicals standing before him, an even mix of boys and girls including Keith, and all were fourth years.

"Doesn't seem very special." They weren't even going to give him a chance to speak up. This time, it was a female, who started approaching him as she spoke. She looked him over with a bored expression.

"Hey now, give em a break. This here's my boy Nicky. Nicky, these are the Rank 1 physicals."

"Rank 1?" This was the first Nick had heard mention of ranks.

"Not the brightest, is he?" The girl traced a finger down Nick's arm to his armband. "Physicals are given ranks based on their score's and combat abilities. Rank 4s are under 20, and usually first year trash, like you."

"Rank 3s range from 20 to 50, rank 2s are 50 to 80, and anything higher is a rank 1." She motioned to those standing around her. "Rank 1s are the elite of the academy, which you, are not."

"Hey hey hey, give Nicky a break Rasha." The girl, Rasha, turned at Keith, and walked towards him. She put an arm around him, starring up sweetly. "Oh, do you have a thing for him?" She squeezed Keith's waist. "You're not going to forget all about me, are you sweetie?"

Keith grinned and leaned towards her. "Nah babe, you're my number one girl."

"Sorry Keith, I forgot, you're not my type." She pushed away from him, and the room started to laugh.

"Tease!" Keith feigned hurt, but he was laughing as well. What's Naomi got that I don't?" The group started laughing even more. He walked towards Nick and placed an arm around him. "Anyways guys, this is the number 1 first year, Nicholas Stryder." They stared at him, still unimpressed. "He's already rank 3." That drew the fourth year's attention.

"Oh, so maybe he is a little special." Rasha walked back up to him. "What does Naomi think about him?" Nick started to blush. His reaction was all Rasha needed. "And here I was, thinking I didn't have any competition." Keith chuckled, and pulled Nick away from Rasha.

"I won't let you kill him." Rasha glared at Nick, and he suddenly wasn't sure if they were joking anymore. "Besides, isn't it about time we had some fun? That's what I brought Nick here for." The other fourth years nodded and started moving towards strange pods around the room.

"What exactly is going on?" Nick whispered to Keith.

"DRAGOON training." He said it calmly, but Nick's heart skipped a beat. DRAGOON was the name for the humanoid mechs DRED Knights used to fight alien forces.

"Like, an actual DRAGOON?" He was certain he hadn't missed seeing robots that were four stories tall.

"Man, maybe you really aren't bright." Keith pushed him lightly towards a pod. "You've used virtual reality before, right?"

"Of course." Nick had spent countless hours training behind the cockpit of a DRAGOON at home.

"Well, these are like that, but so much better." He was starting to get into his pod, Nick mimicked him. "These pods are special made for physicals. They put us into a virtual scenario, which complete simulates operating a DRAGOON."

The pod melded around Nick as he sank into it, a strange material wrapping itself around him. For some reason, he didn't feel scared. He was too excited to see what piloting a DRAGOON really felt like. The pod began to close, yellow and green lights swirling within, and Nick could feel the heat around him rising. Just before the pod shut completely, Dagr flew in and landed on his stomach.  Immediately after, a jolt shot through Nick.  Everything went dark, save for two words in blinding white light.

Mission Start