Chapter 15; Red

Arista POV: 

Why did this keep happening? Somehow I missed when we had been captured. Everything was simple. Right. We were together. Fighting together. But after coming here, I felt divided from him. I was in his world. His world that I was so utterly separated from. I clutched the soft pillow, bringing it to my chest letting slow tears rolling down my cheeks. I missed my parents. And my brother. My friends. I didn't regret my decision. But I wanted my Zander back. The one I fell in love with. Not the one that did this. 

I knock sounded around the room interrupting my thoughts. I quickly wipe away tears quickly checking myself in the mirror. "Yes, come in." Seth pokes his head in smiling cheerily. 

"How you doin Luna?" I sit up on the bed, wrapping the covers around me. It's not cold but the cocoon of sheets made me feel safe. I shrug. He invites himself in sitting at the edge of my bed. I can help but think about Zander and how pissed he would be. But then I stopped caring when I remembered what he had done. Seth was looking at me, almost pityingly. I threw a pillow at his face and the look morphed into confusion. 

"What was that for?"

"Don't pity me. "

"I wouldn't dare." I chuckled a little as he sat beside me. "Really though, how are you?"

"I take it everyone knows."

"No, they wouldn't know how to act. Too dangerous."

"Yeah..."

"He really cares about you."

"I know. I know I'll have to adjust but...I just needed time." Seth nodded. I turned to him trying to erase the memory and the emptiness and longing that filled me. "Let's talk about something else. Tell me something."

"About what?"

"Stories. You. Val. The werewolf world..." He laughed thinking a minute. He opened his mouth to say something when suddenly a crash echoed through the woods. I jumped to my feet growling in the direction of the sound. Seth had also jumped up, not quite as fast as me (which made me feel extremely proud), fast. Right now he didn't seem like playful Seth. He seemed like Beta Seth. I could feel Callista gearing up for a fight. Suddenly Seth relaxed and I shot him a confused glance. He mouth back down so I did, a bit carefully. 

"It's someone from our pack," he said just as a young girl crashed through the shrubbery. She had bright red hair and chocolate brown eyes. She was taller than me but looked to be about my age. Or maybe younger. She was breathless her eyes wide. SHe turned to Seth quickly and her voice came out hurried and rushed. 

"Val sent me. It's Zander. He did it again." Seth's whole body tensed his eyes glowing with worry. He turned to me. 

"You need to come with me."

"What happened?" I questioned. The tension in the air was making me nervous. Had something happened to Zander? I would've felt it. Seth shook his head fast and instead gestured back towards the pack house. 

"I'll answer your questions on the way there," he blurted before darting into the woods following the redhaired girl. I sighed and followed. Someone better tell me what was happening before I hurt someone.  

Alpha Dreven: 

The barbaric Alpha paced the length of the Council Room for the fifth time. For days her face had corrupted his dreams. Haunted him. Mocked him. All that power. In such a little thing. It had to be his. He could feel the gaze of his Commanders and new Beta. He needed a plan. He turned on his heel and pressed his palms into the cool metal table. 

"I want the girl." The Commanders nodded but didn't speak. His Beta watched him with careful eyes, following his erratic movement. 

"I will strip her of her powers. Look into how I can do it," his half of his Commanders went running. Obedient little things they were. Good for nothing but taking orders. Just like everyone else. This is why he deserved to rule. Though the Moon Goddes thought she could stop him. No one could stop him. No one. He turned to the rest. 

" You find out how we will attack my dear nephew." They scampered off as well until it was only him and his Beta. He liked his new Beta better. He was quiet but there was something powerful and sinister in him. Something that so clearly reflected himself. He knew if he were to die his Beta would carry on his reign. The Beta smirked as if he could read his thoughts. Dreven simply nodded at him. 

"What would you like me to do Alpha?" Dreven thought carefully until he remembers. A slow, evil grin spread across his face. 

"I have something very important for you," he clapped his Beta on the back. "I want you to infiltrate Zander's pack. I want you to bring me the girl."

Arista POV: 

The worry was setting deeper into me as we ran. Seth ran with a terrifying speed, cutting through the plants as if they were butter. I was getting frustrated too. I wanted answers. He wasn't telling me. And I hadn't left Zander in a good spot. What had he done? Had he hurt someone? What had happened? The curiosity was gnawing at me. Turning me inside out. The werewolf thing really made me on edge about everything. Especially things about my mate. 

Finally, the packed house came into view and we sprinted right past the few houses around it. There was a crowd around the door. One the parted as Seth and I approached. Seth gave no heed to anyone. He charged forward and so I followed. We rushed up the stairs, with me going two steps at a time to keep up. There were a few people in the hall all who gestured for us to go in. Seth slammed open the door. I stood at the gate, unable to step forward for a moment. What was behind that door? 

Seth opened the door wider and I stepped through. Broken. The was the only way to describe everything. The room was in ruins. The furniture broken, shards of wood sprinkled across the ground. The mattress was thrown across the room and feathers drifted haphazardly across the floor. The shards of the mirror were sprinkled across the room like sparkling jewels. And then there was Zander. His slumped form shaking in the middle of the ruin. Scrapped and bloody his clothes hung limply from his toned form. 

"Don't..." Seth starts but I'm walking. Only half aware of the fact that my feet were bare, vulnerable to the wooden shards and broken glass. Zander didn't acknowledge me at first. I put my hand on his back, pulling his towards me. Slowly he rose his heads, his body, however, continued to shake. He was breathing fast and heavy. Salty tears flow freely down his reddened cheeks. 

"I'm him. I'm him," he mumbled. "K..k..killer. H..hated." I held him, each word digging a knife into my heart. Almost like I could feel his pain. And I couldn't help but think that it was all my fault. I left him. I knew he was upset. He always told me.... And I left him. I rose my head to where Seth was giving me a thumbs up. I almost laughed. 'Go' I mouthed. He nodded and whispered good luck before slipping out and closing the door slowly behind him. 

His eyes widened as he saw my face. His scraped hands reached up towards my cheek. "N..nice dream," he whispered. I shook my head quickly wiping away a stray tear. 

"Here," I whispered. "I'm here."

"She h..hate me. M..monster." I sighed. So badly wanted to do something. To make him see that I was here. Here and next to him. 

"Little do you know how I'm breaking while you fall asleep," I knew it wasn't exactly the best song to sing. It was the opposite of what I was trying to say but it was the only one I remembered. It didn't matter. I only needed him to hear me. I felt his breaths began to steady. 

"Little do you know, 

I'm still haunted by the memory,

Little do you know 

I'm trying to pick myself up piece by piece, 

Little to do you know..." my voice is broken off as his lips reach mine and the breath leaves me in a rush. It doesn't take long for the surprise to fade. And I melt into him. We break after a while panting and staring into each other's eyes. I'm breathless. Wordless. Consumed by the moment. By the thousands of feelings stomping around inside me. His face is still tear-stained and the taste of salt is on my lips. His chest rises slow and steady. 

"I'll love you like you've never felt the pain," he whispers. I chuckle softly as he gives me a brief smile. "I'm sorry. I'll be better." I brush a stray tear away from his face. Letting my fingers drag across his lips. He breathes in deeply, sharply. 

"I forgive you."

So that song was 'Little Do You Know' by Alex and Sierra and I highly recommend it. Hope you liked the chapter and don't forget to like and comment. Love you all!

- Fae