Specialness

An Explanation.

In some ways, I wish his arrival had been more clichéd. You know, to fit the whole theme of the next year or so. I wish our jaws had dropped to the floor as he sauntered in, I wish the light had beamed down on him, catching the highlights in his golden hair, and I wish the world had silenced. I wish he had looked across the math classroom, and made eye contact just to confirm exactly how the story of my life was going to be written. I wish it had been a more glamorous class then math.

            But no. Oliver Martins’ arrival was unceremonious. Infact, we were the ones who entered late , him already seated next to some random girl. I didn’t even notice him until about halfway through class when I turned to hide I was chewing gum. He sat up the back, a glare in his eyes and a BIC pen in his right hand. For one moment I couldn’t bring myself to look away. He didn’t look up.

            Okay, stop. Stop, stop, stop. I can see how you’re looking at the page right now. You’re rolling your eyes, and you’re choking on laughter.  How freaking desperate does this girl get? Is this meant to be stupid?

            I get it, okay. I get exactly how you feel. You don’t think I’ve felt that way for this whole time? I’m nauseous just from writing that stupid ‘golden highlights’ comment! See, I’m just trying to give an accurate portrayal of the events that unfolded. You’ve got to understand a few things.

            Yes, this story is about Oliver Martins (and his golden haired loveliness.)

            Yes, it’s a love story about Oliver Martins. Love...and other things. Weird things.

            Yes, I’m writing this. Me; AJ Coen.

            No, this is not about me. It’s not about how I fell in love with Oliver and dedicated my life to being with him. It’s not about any of that; I’m not even the main character in this story.

            This is about my bestfriend Jill.