The Mermaid Man and Me, His Mermaid Mate - Chapter 6!

Chapter 6

I pulled my cardigan tighter as a salty, cold breeze rove around me, through me, sending a cold pulse around my body.

"Cold?" Jamie murmured, sitting next to me as the small beach fire burned, the heat going the opposite way while the rest of the group roasted marshmallows. 

"I'm fine." I smiled as warmly as I could, my teeth betraying me. 

Without a word, Jamie stood and took off his jacket. With a crooked smile, he placed the jacket around my shoulders, enveloping me in his aftershave. A cool, fresh smell that lingered in your nostrils teasingly. 

"Thanks," My voice full of apreciation as I noticed his arm still around me. 

A strange feeling tickled the back of my neck. With a jerk, I looked over my shoulder and out to sea. Frowning, I turned back to look at Jamie and smiled nervously up at him. 

Still, I felt the searing heat of someones gaze boaring into the back of my head. 

Although I was freezing, my upper lip beaded with sweat and an unnerving feeling washed over my body. My skin almost felt itchy, like all of the cells of my body were reaching for the ocean, coaxing. 

I'd never experienced this feeling towards the sea before. It was foreign to me. My stomach felt like it was being spun around and around and I felt like Jamie's arm shouldn't be there.

That someone else's should. 

But who?

"Rylee?" Jamie cut into my haywire musing.

"Sorry, what?" I rubbed my face, suddenly feeling drained and wanting to go home. Here I was sitting with the most popular boy in school and all I suddenly wanted to do was go home.

"I asked you if you're okay, you've paled..." Jamie trailed off, staring at me. I focused on not looking in his eyes. I really didn't want to hear what he was thinking right now. 

"I'm fi-" 

A voice cut over my reply, a earth shattering voice that completely altered my life. "Hey Rylee!" 

My head flung around over my shoulder and I turned towards the voice. 

It was Paul. The guy Jamie had the argument with. He was strolling along the beach with one of his friends, heading straight for me. 

Jamie let go of my shoulder and stood, turning towards his friend. The look in Paul's eyes promised trouble and I felt like cowering away and running home... or to the sea. 

I wish.

"What's up, Paul?" Jamie called, his voice level, neutral. Everything about Jamie's stance blasted that he was ready for anything. His jaw was gnashed together, his leads spread out a little, hands balled up in fists and his eyes were locked on Paul, ready for any sudden movement. 

It was sweet. 

But I didn't want to come between two friends. 

"Rumour around town is that she's" - he pointed at me with disgust- "the mermaid."

"That's ridiculous!" Jamie scoffed, laughing the comment off as I froze in place. 

"Oh really?" Paul lifted his eyebrows in challenge. "Why don't we prove it?"

"Are you joking?" Jamie suddenly didn't find it funny at all, his face dropped and his stance widened. "It's freezing out there! No way is Rylee going to catch pneumonia just to satisfy your empty head!"