Chapter 32 - First Blood

Elissa's eyes scan the fighting arena, a sizeable rectangle of neatly clipped lawn, marked out with rope. Two white, medieval style tents stand on opposite sides of the field and the banners of the eight champions flutter in the breeze. Thousands of spectators have gathered, cramming into three sides of the field, whilst behind her is a makeshift royal pavilion, the reserve of the nobles and the competitors.

Taking in a deep, but shaking breath, she addresses the crowd, welcoming them and adding a little magic so that her voice carries on the breeze.

The eight champions stand before her, glorious representations from the different nations of Elysium. Well, seven of them are at least.

At her instruction, they place their medallion into a velvet bag being held by Darish. He hefts the bag, causing a dull clunking of gold and she places her hand in, making sure not to peep. The first medallion withdrawn is etched with flames.

"The first contender is Lord Fintan, the Elemental champion."

Once more, she sinks her hand into the bag and pulls out a medallion bearing the image of a dragon. "And he will fight Lord Kai, the Dragonite champion."

With a wave of her hand, the white tents transform, one streaking with red and gold and the other with red and green.

The other contestants take their seats in the pavilion, except for the dwarf, who hurries inside. Kai and Fintan step over the rope and retire to their respective tents to prepare.

Elissa takes the place reserved for her, sitting front and central, with Aren on one side and Darish on the other. She is just getting comfortable when Dusk arrives. Rather than taking one of the free spaces, he decides to come right to the front and stands there eyeing a far too small gap between Darish and his sister. She raises an unimpressed eyebrow at him.

Dusk grins. "Sorry to be late. I wanted to be presentable."

Indeed, he looks good enough for a GQ shoot. She rolls her eyes and sighs. "Ok, just sit down and stop making a spectacle."

Everyone has to shuffle on the bench to make room for him, but he is soon forgotten.

There is a roar from the crowd as Kai steps out from his tent, his massive form clad in leather and a golden breastplate, moulded over his numerous muscles. A standard bearer, who she recognises as one of the twins, either Cain or Cade, holds up a banner depicting a golden dragon on a red background.

On the far side, Fintan steps out of the other tent looking like a knight of old, clad in silver armour. His standard bearer holds a banner with red flames against a green background.

The two men meet in the middle and she can't help worry for Fintan; Kai towers head and shoulders above him. Her thoughts are echoed by Dusk.

"I cannot see the little guy lasting long." Dusk tone turns dirty. "I was hoping things would get all hot and sweaty."

Fintan forms a fireball in his hand and lobs it at Kai, who makes no move to dodge it. The ball bounces off the Dragonite's cheek and lands a few feet away, singeing the grass. Kai levels Fintan with the kind of look an adult might give a small child and withdraws the enormous sword from the casing on his back.

Fintan's Adam's apple bobs, but he pulls his sword from its scabbard and firms his fighting stance. She is pleasantly surprised to find that her distant cousin is actually a skilled fighter and at first they are treated to a display of fine swordsmanship. The clang of steel against steel sounds out across the field.

However, the effort of continuing to meet Kai's powerful attacks take their toll and in time Fintan starts to visibly flag, his movements becoming more clumsy. Fintan then staggers after deflecting a particularly forceful swing. Kai is a gentleman, allowing his competitor to regain his footing.