Chapter Twenty-Eight

Author's Note:

Woohoo! I'm on a roll! I gave myself a July deadline and I'm really trying hard to meet it. As always, thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading. I also wanted to take this time to clear up something I've gotten a few questions about: If you read LILB as well as this one, then you'll get this. If not, ignore it.

So Gabe is in Woodbury (Charlie's brother). This is true. I've been asked why Merle wouldn't know this and here's my answer: There are at least 70 people in Woodbury and I doubt Merle has had time to meet all of them. Also, he didn't spend nearly as much time around Charlie and Gabe as Daryl did. He was either always gone, or just out not giving a crap. Charlie would NEVER allow Gabe to really spend time with Merle because she knows how he is. So Merle has only briefly met Gabe, years ago when Gabe was a kid. Chances are he doesn't even remember what he looked like then, let alone what he looks like grown up. And that is why Merle is clueless that Gabe is in Woodbury. I really hope that makes sense and answers any questions anyone had. Okay, my little note is over and here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

-----

Harlow

“You have a name, soldier?” I asked, carefully changing his bandages. I was amazed at how well he was doing, especially for someone who had been in a helicopter crash barely one week earlier. Just days after he’d been brought into Woodbury, his vitals had improved on a monumental level and we had him stabilized. I was relieved. I hated losing patients.

“Lieutenant Welles.” He answered quietly, watching as I rewrapped the bandage on his leg.

“Well, Lieutenant, I think you’re gonna be okay. It’ll be a long road, but you should make a full recovery.” I gave him a small smile.

I heard two knocks on the wall behind me and looked over my shoulder to see the Governor. I turned back around to Lieutenant Welles before the Governor could see how unhappy I was to see him there. He had been showing up almost every day, waiting for the soldier to wake up. Always asking if he was able to talk yet. I felt in my gut that he was up to something. Why else would he be so interested? Whatever he wanted from this man, it wasn’t good.

“Is he okay to have a visitor? I still have some questions I’d like to ask him.”

I sighed. I had been able to keep him at bay the last few times he’d shown up, telling him over and over again that he needed rest. This was the most awake and alert the man had been since he had been brought in, though. I knew the Governor could see that. I wouldn’t be able to stop him this time.

“Not too long. He doesn’t have all his strength back yet.” I finally answered. I met Lieutenant Welles’ gaze. “As long as you’re feeling up to it?” I was hoping he’d refuse, but I wasn’t going to hold my breath. He had no idea who the Governor was. He had no reason to be paranoid.

“Its fine, I’m feeling up to it right now.” The solider answered, giving me a reassuring smile.

I forced a smile back and nodded before standing to my feet. I headed over to the single sink in the room and washed my hands. I heard the Governor’s footsteps as he walked into the room. When I turned back around, he had taken my chair and was scooting it closer to the bedside. He gave me a quick glance.