This is Why I Don't Bring Friends Over

You know how people say everyone has at least that one weird person in their family? Well for me it's a bit different. My whole family is weird and I'm the only normal one. (At least that's what I'd like to believe.) I mean, I'm surprised I haven't gone completely insane! They also say that “love is blind” so I had no idea what possessed me to invite Reese Pyncoff, the most gorgeous boy at Dover Heights to come over my house for a study guide. To tell you the truth I was against it, but he insisted so that's how we got to where we are. I could think of this as some sort of test though, if he stands through one night with my family, then he's interested.

I got home from school that afternoon and made my way quickly to the front door before they could stop me.

When I opened the door to my house, I could see already that there was trouble. My sister Kaylee was searching frantically for something. Cushions from the couch and trail of nuts were everywhere. Not only that, Nibble's cage door was open.

I groaned. “Please tell me you did NOT lose Nibble.”

My sister looked up at me and gave me a sheepish smile.

Ugh, I so don't need this right now! I thought to myself, on the outside I tried to remain calm. “OK, where the last place you had him?”

She shrugged. “I just opened the cage to feed him and he flew out. I tried to catch him by the time he landed, but he just scurried away from me and now...”

“Mom!” I called.

Mom's head popped up from behind the kitchen counter. Her face was covered in flour. She works at a soup kitchen, but sometimes she brings her work home with her. “ Hi honey how was school.”

“Fine,” I say briefly hurrying to get to the chase.” Kaylee lost Nibble and Reese would be here any minute! If he sees Nibble, he'll freak and then think I'm some weirdo.”

“Honey you're just over exaggerating. Everything will come together before your friend gets here. Why don't you help your sister clean up this mess. Who knows, you might come across Nibble while you're at it. I would help, but I gotta get to the soup kitchen. I trust you to stay downstairs, correct?”

“Yeah mom, we'll be downstairs.”

she waves goodbye as she walks out the front door. Sighing to myself, I get started on the mess in the living room.

“You're not the only one with a hot date you know.” my sister says, rolling her eyes. “I have a date with John Cena and Rey Mysterio at the Phillips Arena tonight and I have to get ready before dad comes by.”

I roll my eyes as well. I should have known. Kaylee is a huge WWE junkie. Whenever they come to Atlanta, she tries her hardest to get her hands on tickets. I thought about telling her it was fake, but I'd figured she'll find out on her own. At least one of us had something to look forward to on Monday nights.

“Of course.” I say.

I was beginning to give up on the search when I heard the doorbell ring.

“I'll get it!” I yelled. Once done checking myself in a mirror, I opened the door.

Reese was standing there with his books. He gave me a friendly smile that showed all his perfectly white teeth.

“Hey Jo, ready to hit the books?”

I couldn't say anything, I was focused too much on wondering about how he looked shirtless when his question finally donned on me. Nod you idiot! Smile, do something! I obey my inner thoughts.

“Uh, yeah. Why don't you come inside.”I moved out the way so he can come through, I force my eyes not to look at his butt as he walks by.

He heads to the couch and pats the seat next to him for me to sit beside him. All the time in my head I'm screaming, OMG I can't believe this is actually happening! I sit beside him and open my book I had on the table.