Chapter 1

Alec couldn't help but feel envious of Jace and Izzy as they were dancing with Simon and Clary. He wished he had someone who would hold him close like that and make him feel loved. Alec was brought out of his thoughts when an unwelcome arm wrapped around his waist tightly. 

"Jonathan get off me", Alec said angrily but this just made Jonathan tighten his grip so much it hurt. 

"Dance with me". 

"I don't want to-"

"It wasn't a request", Jonathan said darkly and pulled Alec roughly to the dance floor. Alec fought the whole way but Jonathan wouldn't let him go. Alec looked frantically around hoping someone would notice but everyone was either too drunk or focused on their partners. Jonathan pulled Alec close against him, a couple of months ago Alec would have loved their proximity but Alec just wanted to get away from him. "I have missed you so much Alec", Jonathan whispered into his ear and pressed kisses all over his neck making Alec try to struggle more. After 20 agonizing minutes that Jonathan used to take advantage of Alec while he had him trapped Jonathan said, "I don't want to dance anymore I think we should take this somewhere more private". 

"No please Jonathan just let me go!" 

Jonathan ignored him and even though Alec tried to fight again he started pulling Alec away with him. But to Alec's immense relief he felt himself being pulled away from Jonathan and a young man blocked Jonathan. "You're going to pay for that!" The man shouted and punched Jonathan so hard he fell to the floor and bumped into some people as he fell causing some people to stare at them. Jonathan growled and tried to punch Magnus back but he caught his wrist and Hodge (a member of staff) came over and broke up the fight. 

"What is going on here?" 

"Hodge, Jonathan was trying to force this man to leave with him". 

"Is this true?" Hodge asked Alec. Alec nodded feeling too shaken up to speak. "Jonathan come with me right now!" Hodge said angrily and made Jonathan leave. 

"Thank you so much", Alec said managed to say to his saviour. When the man turned around and smiled warmly at Alec, Alec's eyes widened. The man was breathtakingly beautiful and Alec couldn't stop staring at his sparkling eyes- 

"Well I do love saving handsome men", Magnus said with a grin interrupting Alec's thoughts and making him blush. Alec was glad when Izzy and the rest of the group came rushing to Alec because he didn't know how to respond to that. Izzy hugged Alec tightly. 

"Are you okay Alec? We saw Hodge taking Jonathan away, what happened?" Izzy asked in concern. 

"Um... I just had a problem with Jonathan but it's fine now". 

Izzy looked unconvinced but let it go for the moment, Izzy turned to the man who had saved Alec, "Magnus I see you met my brother". 

"Yes he's even more beautiful than you described biscuit", Magnus said making Alec blush again and Clary grinned at Alec's reaction glad to see he seemed to like Magnus. 

"Well words just don't do him  justice you have to see him in person", Clary said making Alec duck his head in embarrassment but Clary's words made him smile. Izzy pulled Clary close and rested her head on her shoulder. Izzy was glad Clary was so supportive of Alec, he had been neglected so much by their parents and Jonathan that he wasn't used to complements. 

"How did you meet Alec?" Jace said suspiciously his protective side kicking in.

Alec discreetly shook his head at Magnus and Magnus nodded in understanding, "I just met him now I was going to ask him to dance with me". 

Alec was grateful that Magnus respected that Alec didn't want the others to know what happened with Jonathan but his heart ached when he wished that Magnus' lie was the truth. To say he was shocked when Magnus offered him his hand and nodded at the dance floor was an understatement. Alec happily took his hand this night seemed to be turning from a nightmare to a dream come true. Magnus smiled warmly at Alec when he took his hand and gently lead him away from the others ignoring Jace's suspicious glances. 

The way Magnus held him was so different from the way Jonathan had. Where Jonathan had gripped him hard enough to bruise and held him far too close to his chest, Magnus was gentle and kept an appropriate distance between them. "Thank you for not telling them what happened with Jonathan".

"Your welcome I understand your desire to keep it from them. By the way it is a pleasure to meet you though I wish it had been under better circumstances". 

"I'm sorry you had to deal with Jonathan-"

"Hey don't apologize it wasn't your fault". 

Alec smiled but his smile faltered when doubts started to creep in his mind. Was Magnus only doing this to back up the lie? As they continued to dance Alec closed his eyes and allowed himself to pretend that Magnus really did want to dance with him. A while later Magnus lead him to a table and the two continued to talk. 

"Alexander, you don't have to tell me but what happened with you and Jonathan?"

Alec  was too lost in memories to realize that Magnus had called him Alexander, "I'd rather not say", Alec said sadly. 

"It's okay". 

"So um... what are you studying?" Alec said to change the subject. 

Magnus' eyes lit up at the question, "I'm studying Graphic Design I love it so much. What about you?"

"I'm studying art so I might see you in some classes", Alec said with a smile. 

"That would be wonderful", Magnus said happily but he thought he could see some sadness in Alec's eyes and wanted to ask why but didn't want to push. "Alexander I was wondering-" Magnus was cut off when his phone rang. "I'm sorry I need to get this can you wait here for me?"

"Of course", Alec said. 

Magnus came back a few minutes later looking annoyed, "I have to go now I'm sorry". 

"Oh that's okay", Alec said though he felt a pang of disappointment.

"See you around?"

"Yeah", Alec said trying not to sound to hopeful. Magnus left after giving Alec an apologetic smile leaving Alec to wonder why he had left. In the past when someone had gotten tired of talking to him they would come up with some excuse to leave, sometimes it was a phone call asking them to go. Alec felt his heart hurt and hoped that wasn't the case with Magnus. Another thought struck him if that wasn't the case what if Magnus was already in a relationship and therefore wasn't interested in him that way. His heart hurt even more at that thought. 

"Please don't be in love with someone else", Alec whispered.