The Cost of Silence chapter 5

Chapter 5

My dads car was here. That meant my dad was picking me up. Why? Wait. I knew why. My mom was too 'busy'. She was too busy screwing around with some guy to come pick up her daughter, so she sent her husband to do it. How much did she hate me?

My dad pulled up beside me and rolled down the window. "get in the car," he ordered. He was obviously really pissed off, and it was no secret why. When I hesitated, he only got angrier. "I said, get in the fucking car!" he yelled. Sighing, I opened the door and got in. What other choice did I have?

My dad peeled out of the parking lot at a ridiculously dangerous speed, cussing under his breath. Multiple times he looked over at me, and he saw that I was leaning against the door, as far away from him as I could get. He reached over and put his hand on my leg, grabbing me hard. "why won't you talk?" he asked menacingly, "you never talk. Only to Stella." I didn't say anything, but I did jerk my leg out of his grasp.

"come on," he went on, "say something. Do something. Make me believe that you're not crazy." well, he wanted me to do something, so I did. I flipped him off, not saying a word the entire time. But apparently that wasn't what he wanted me to do.

"you little bitch," he yelled, slamming on the brakes. He pulled the car to the side of the road and put it in park. "you're such a bitch. I don't even know why your mother bothers to get you help. You don't need help. You need to be taught a lesson." he grabbed my arm and yanked me away from the door, locking them all. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't. I couldn't say anything around him at times like this.

"you know that you deserve this," he said, "it's all your fault." I just nodded, not knowing what else to do. My dad went on and on, about how everything that had happened was my fault, and I just there, accepting it. But then he said something that I refused to accept the blame for.

"it's your fault that your mom's off screwing some guy!" my dad yelled. My head snapped up. No, it wasn't.

"no!" I yelled, surprising myself, "it's not! It's your fault! You're the one that's ruining this family! You're the one who..." my eyes met his, and I couldn't finish. Even though there was no one around us, I couldn't say the words. I couldn't say the secret. And my dad knew that.

"see that?" he said, grinning, "you don't even know what to say. Besides..." he leaned in close to my face. "If you ever did get the guts to tell anyone what may or may not have happened, no one would believe you." I froze, realizing that he was right. Sensing that, my dad went on. "who would believe the quiet, depressed girl, who wants out of her family? No one would."

I was so angry, with my dad, with myself, with everyone. He was right. If my little secret ever did come out, no one would believe it. And I wouldn't blame them. Shit.

Ignoring my dads existence, I reached over and unlocked the car. Then I opened the door and got out, slamming the door shut behind me. I ignored my dads protests, and started walking home. There was no way in hell I was going to be anywhere near that creep right now. Besides, I needed fresh air.

My dad must have given up trying to get me back in the car, or just didn't care, because he drove away, speeding. My house was still about 8 miles away from where I was at, and it was already 6:00. I guess I'd better start walking.

I started walking along the side of the road, trying to hold back tears. I was crying a lot lately. It seemed like that was all I ever did. I hated crying. It made me feel weak, and I hated feeling that way. Which sucked, because weak was basically my default feeling.

I don't know how long I had been walking when a car pulled up beside me, but I was so lost in thought that I didn't even notice it until the driver honked the horn. I jumped, startled, and turned around to see the boy from Andreas, Eric, driving an old Chevy pickup truck. He slowed down and stopped the car right beside me, rolling down the window.

"hey there," he said, "do you want a ride?" I considered refusing, but I was still a long ways from home, and I didn't want to be out after dark. So, even though I didn't like that he had winked at me earlier, I shrugged and got in his car. That's right. I just got into a strangers car.

Because that's what he was, really. All I knew about him was that he saw the same therapist as me and seemed to have a problem with society (hence the 'fuck society' he had painted on Andreas wall). But something about Eric made me feel like I could trust him, which didn't happen often. So, I took a chance.

Once I got in, Eric started the car and started driving, and we sat there in silence for a while. But then he said "so, where am I going?" oh, yeah. "keep going straight and then take a right on Schnebly RD my house is the 3rd one on the left," I said quietly. Eric nodded and we continued the drive in mostly quiet. The only other time he talked was to say "I'm sorry about earlier, when I winked at you. I shouldn't have, it was stupid. I just thought that you were cute, and you were looking at me, and yeah." well, at least he apologized. I honestly didn't really care about that anymore, and I decided to forgive him for it. I wasn't in the habit of talking, but for him, I said "don't worry about it," and I smiled.

I noticed that Eric was wearing long sleeves, despite the summer heat, which I found odd. But whatever. It's his fashion choice.

I think that Eric could tell I didn't want to talk, because he turned on the radio and smiled at me. When we pulled into my driveway, I saw that my dads car was there, but my moms wasn't. Of course.

Eric stopped the car and looked at me, but by then, I was already jumping out and running towards the house. I didn't want Stella alone in the house with our dad. I did make sure to turn and wave to Eric, before I went inside though. He just smiled and waved goodbye, before pulling out of the driveway and leaving.

I couldn't help myself from thinking that Eric was actually really nice. Maybe I would be friends with him, if I was the type of person who actually had friends. I might have thought about that longer, but I was preoccupied. I ran inside to find Stella, and found a shock instead.

Authors note:

I feel emotionally drained after this chapter. I'm not gonna lie. xD

Did anyone notice those little hints I put in about Amy's secret? And her dad? You'll find out more later on!(:

Do you guys like Eric?? He's got a secret of his own...like why he's seeing a therapist! He's going to be in the story a lot more, I'm just not sure in what way yet.

By the way, the more votes and fans I get, the faster ill upload, because I'll feel guilty for making you all wait!! ;D

Comment, vote, become a fan. Xoxo. <3