Chapter Four: Enlisting in a Militia

The next day we rode out for Aunt Charlotte's plantation in the Santee. Aunt Charlotte's house was filled with tall, mysterious pine trees overlooking the swamp. Chirps of birds could be heard.

I was currently sitting in a luxurious chair in the living room, warming myself by the fire as I listened to Papa's and Aunt Charlotte's conversation. They were talking about what recently happened. I was saddened and I was angry. Sad that Thomas was no longer with us, and angry that he was taken away from us. There was nothing I could do, but mourn. Mourn 'till night. Mourn 'till day.

But I was not the type to mourn consistently. I wasn't an old widow wailing for her dead husband to come back. No. I was a patriotic woman. A patriot that should fight alongside other patriots no matter what the gender I may be. And that's exactly what I plan to do.

"We have dispatches to deliver, Gabriel." Papa said.

I stood outside with the family petting the horses that we rode over here. "Here you go, Tulip." Tulip munched on the green apple I gave her and nuzzled my hand. "I love you too."

"Almyra!" Papa called.

"Yes?"

"You're coming with us."

Oh yes!

-Time skip-

After watching the disappointing lost at Camden, Papa, Gabriel, and I made our way to the American camp not far from Camden. We rode in the camp, being stared at by many men who had shredded uniforms, no footwear, and dirt on their faces. I winced at one soldier who lost his right arm.

Poor guy, I thought.

"Colonel Lee," Papa said as we entered the commandment tent.

"Benjamin," greeted Colonel Burwell.

"Who's in charge?"

"I am, I think."

"What are my orders?" Colonel Burwell's eyes grew huge.

"Why the sudden change of heart, Benjamin?"

"My son, Thomas, was killed by the Green Dragoons. Tavington to be exact." Papa responded.

"I am sorry for your loss," Colonel Burwell commented.

"Thank you."

Colonel Burwell nodded and pulled out a map of the colonies. "We're a breath away from losing this war, Benjamin. In the North," Colonel Burwell pointed at the exact area. "Washington is reeling from Valley Forge, running and hiding from Clinton and twelve-thousand redcoats.

"Here in the south," he pointed at South Carolina. "Cornwallis has broken our back. He captured over five-thousand of our troops when he took Charleston and today he destroyed the only army that stood between him and New York."

"So now Cornwallis will head up north, meet with Clinton and finish off Washington?" Asked Papa.

Colonel Burwell sighed. "Unless we can keep Cornwallis in the south until the French arrive...a fleet and ten-thousand troops."

My ears perked up at hearing the French. "The French are helping us?"

Colonel Burwell looked at me. "Yes, they agreed to help. Along with Spain."

"Colonel Burwell, may I introduce my daughter, Almyra Martin."

"Pleasure to meet you Miss. Martin," said Colonel Burwell, bending down to lay his lips on the top of my hand.

"You as well, Colonel."

"When will the French arrive?" Papa said, interrupting.

"In about six months."

"And are you sure they will arrive?"

"Absolutely." A new voice answered. The tent's flap opened and revealed a man with fizzy blonde hair. He was wearing a light blue uniform. "Major Jean DeLancey, French Seventh Light Foot." He held out his hand.

"Benjamin Martin," Papa shook his hand.

"I know you based on your reputation," Major DeLancy commented. "The big problem is not if or when my countrymen will arrive, but where. Our Admiral de Grasse will not sail north of your Chesapeake Bay in fear of storms."

"So you're trying to keep Cornwallis in the south?" Papa asked Colonel Burwell.

Colonel Burwell shook his head. "Not me, you and Major DeLancy. I'm going north with every Continental I can find to reinforce Washington or he won't last six weeks."

"How many men do you have?" Papa asked the Major.

The Major pointed to himself.

"Do you think Cornwallis will be held here by a militia?"

"Held, slowed down.." Colonel Burwell said drifting. "I'm giving you the field commission as a colonel. Good luck, Colonel Martin."

"Thanks. One last thing. I'd like to transfer my son into my command and for my daughter to enlist in my command as well."

I looked at Papa. "Really?"

"Yes. You're an excellent marksman."

"Thank you, Papa."

"Done." Colonel Burwell agreed.

-Time skip-

I rode with Major DeLancy and Papa to a tavern where there should be many patriots willing to enlist. "You sure this will work, sir?" I asked Papa.

Because I was now a captain, I had to call Papa 'sir' or 'colonel'.

"Hopefully," answered Papa.

We stopped at Boar's Head Inn. "Here goes nothing," said Papa.

Papa opened the door and yelled, "GOD SAVE KING GEORGE!"

The music stopped, violins screeched, the men stood up grabbing their knives with a murderous gleam in their eyes. I shared a quick glance with my papa and we closed the door quickly when they threw their arm forward to throw.

"We picked the right place. Definitely the right place." I said.

Papa broke into a grin and we entered the tavern once more announcing that we are a militia looking for men to enlist. I sat to the left side of Papa and watched people enlisted. I was in charge of answering questions to those who were unsure of enlisting.

"Yes, if you enlist then there's a chance that you can help ensure the colonies independence from the tyrant King." I answered a man's question.

"Thank you, Captain." He walked to the line of enlistment.

"Now, something tells me they allowed a woman to fight. Much less, be a captain." A man with hazel eyes and crooked teeth said.

I had to do my best not to throw up.

"Yes. I was chosen since I'm an excellent marksman. You got a problem with a woman fighting, then you have a problem fighting for independence as I'm fighting for the same thing you want to fight for. Or did you come over here to taunt me?" I challenged.

"To fight for independence." He said.

"Good."

-Time skip-

I sat next to Papa as he melted Thomas' toy soldiers into bullets. "How many did you get?" Papa asked when Gabriel walked over.

"Twelve," Gabriel answered.

Gabriel glanced at the men we brought and had a disgusted look on his face. "That's not the sort we need."

"They want to fight for independence, Gabriel. They're exactly the sort we need. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed now. Goodnight."

"Night, Captain." Chorused the two.

AN: if you enjoyed this chapter or any chapter of this book, make sure you comment or vote! I appreciate feedback! It tells me what I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. Thank you for reading! :)