Chapter 35: Surprise

Chapter Thirty-Five
SURPRISE

-- April --

“You’ve reached Matt Hamilton. Leave a message.”

                Amy’s bottom lip began to tremble. She’d been trying to contact him for the past four hours, but she’d heard nothing. It began when she sent him a text message at three p.m., checking if he was ready for their Skype session… after an hour, she’d sent another text message… an hour later, another text message. And now, for the past fifteen minutes, she’d been trying to call him. But still, there was no answer.

                She fought the urge to panic as she called him one more time. It rang five times, then went to his voicemail. “You’ve reached Matt Hamilton. Leave a message.”

                “Matt, where are you? Are you okay – are you safe? Why aren’t you taking my calls?” A pause, and her tears began to fall, immediately thinking the worst. “Please call me as soon as you get this. I love you.”

                Amy paced the lower storey of her house for the next half hour, turning her phone in her hand, waiting for her husband’s call. This was completely out of his nature – he always responded to her text messages within minutes, and answered phone calls before the third ring.

                She had no idea where he would have been today – recording in the studio, or maybe relaxing somewhere in L.A. with his friends. He could have taken his niece and nephew to a theme park. But it now was late in L.A. – he should have contacted Amy by now.

                Amy dialled a different number. Jake answered on the fourth ring.

                “Hello?” he greeted groggily.

                “Jake, it’s Amy,” she cried. “I can’t get a hold of Matt. Do you know where he is? He hasn’t answered me all afternoon… I’m worried about him.”

                “Oh… um, he… he said he was staying late at the studio tonight,” Jake eventually choked out. “I was meant to call you, sorry. I forgot. I’ll make sure he calls you as soon as he gets back.”

                Recording for a solid four hours? Amy couldn’t quite believe that.

                “What time is it there?” she asked.

                “Quarter past two…” Jake admitted.

                “Surely he’s not still at the studio! Who in their right mind wants to record an album at two in the morning?!”

                “I don’t make music, Amy. I just act. That’s a whole different ball game… Hang on a sec…”

                Amy could hear Yani’s voice muffled through the phone, but she couldn’t make out what she was saying... only that she was mad at Jake. Amy figured that was because he was on the phone with her at such a ridiculous hour. The pair of them were arguing quietly, but eventually, Jake returned to Amy.

                “He’s fine, Amy. You don’t need to worry about him. I’ll make sure he calls you.”

                Amy sighed; she wasn’t making progress by talking to Jake. “Thanks,” she said a little coldly. “Bye, Jake. Sorry for waking you.”

                “That’s okay,” he mumbled. “Bye.”

                Amy began pacing again in the silence of her kitchen, and then decided to call her husband once again. It reached voicemail, and she left a message.