Three Shards Of Red Glass

Our investigation the next night starts out like all others. Walking around the jail, filming, doing EVPs. Nothing happens for forever.

Right now, I lean against the wall of a cell, an Ovulus in my hands. The Ovulus is a great piece of equipment, since it allows the spirits to use their energy to choose words. Much better than the spirit box, and quicker than an EVP.

It sits silently in my hand. I close my eyes, and send my power outward, like I did in Sarcoxie. Back then, though, when I used my power, I ended up in the middle of an ashy pentagram with blood down the side of my face.

I hear Billy in one of the cells, walking out his stiff legs. I move past that, and watch Aaron and Jay walk around another cell block with the SLS, or Structored Light Sensor camera. Luckies. They got eyes. All I got is my camera and the slight light from the Ovulus.

I move even further than that, to nerve center, where Zak watches the cameras we have set up. I ignore him, and return to the cell block outside nerve center. Something there has sparked my interest.

Moving my power takes a great deal of difficulty and focus, so I don't realize that the Ovulus is speaking. I dimly hear Billy enter my cell, but then I get a flash image of a door set into the wall outside nerve center. A door that shouldn't be there.

I'm shaken out of my mind by Billy, who holds up the Ovulus. Danger, it reads. As I watch, it flashes three more messages. Revenge. Murder. Door. I pick up my camera and point it up at Billy, who films the Ovulus screen. He turns towards me, and I can see it in his eyes that he's scared. I look around, but the spirit who said the words either doesn't want to appear to me or is already gone.

"What do you think it means?" Billy asks. I shake my head, and say,"I have no clue." Lie, and Billy can tell. Thankfully, though, he doesn't say anything. Just then, as we're exiting the cell, I hear a loud bang, coming from the end of the cell block. I look over at Billy, and see his eyes trained on a spot at the end of the building.

Together, we set off that way. Billy pulls out his recorder, just in case. We stop near the wall, and Billy hits play. "Who made that sound?... How many murders happened here?... What happened behind these walls?..." The Ovulus, in my hand again, speaks, saying, Children.

I look up at Billy, and see the gears in his mind turning. My mind goes back to the research day we had yesterday, to an article I found.

"This place used to be a school. Before that it was a hospital. It was only a jail in the past eighty years. It's been used as a bunker, a school, twice as a hospital, and an asylum before becoming a jail," I say. Billy nods, apparently remembering the information from yesterday as well.

"Did children make that noise to lure us over here?... Do you want to play little kids?..." I ask, and the Ovulus says, Play. Sara. "Is your name Sara?" I ask, looking down at the Ovulus, which I hold at knee height, where I imagine little Sara can speak into it.

Girl. Me. Play. I smile, and crouch to get more to the little child's height. Apparently, as far as I'm concerned, little kids have more control over their invisibility from me than adults do. They can hide as long as they want. Little turds. Always annoyed me when I played hide-and-seek with them as a kid.

"What game do you want to play, Sara?" I ask, turning the Ovulus to my right, where I sense an energy. Follow, the little device says. Then, a little child spirit appears before my eyes. She gestures for me to follow her, and I do, to the bewilderment of Billy.

Sara leads me through the jail, sometimes disappearing into cells and popping back out, laughing all the while. Just as I recognize the cell block we're in, Zak appears from the door to nerve center, frowning. "What's going on? What happened?" he asks, and I say,"I'm following a little girl named Sara. She seems to want to show me something." Zak looks confused by this, but doesn't say anything as I walk past him.