Relationship Fundamentals

Mutual Respect: Sally is really in the mood and is ready to hit the sack with Alice, but Alice doesn’t really feel like it. Alice feels comfortable telling Sally,“Not tonight, babe” and Sally respects Alice’s boundaries and decisions.

Equality: Julie gives Pat a blow job, and after he comes, he goes down on Julie. They believe that they should have equality and reciprocity in their relationship ... especially in the bedroom!

Trust: Richard is talking to his old friend Suzie on the sidewalk when his girlfriend, Theresa, walks by. She doesn’t go ape-shit on Richard or accuse him of cheating. She trusts Richard.

Honesty: When Dorah’s ex-boyfriend calls her up for coffee, she decides that she’s ready to let the past be the past and be friends. She mentions it to her boyfriend, Mark, because she wants him to know that she is totally honest with him about her decisions, even ones involving ex-boyfriends.

Separate Identities: Todd and Meridith care for each other very much, but they know who they are and don’t want to meld into one! They have separate friends and activities, and their lives don’t revolve around each other. They believe it’s important to maintain separate identities.

Support: Greg’s had a really rough day and needs a shoulder to cry on. Even though Abbie isn’t used to men showing their emotions, she understands that Greg is someone she cares about and therefore wants to help and support him when he needs it.

Communication: Nick and Karen COMMUNICATE ... hurrah for them! They talk to each other about things they feel are important, like their feelings, sex, and hopes and dreams. Isn’t that sweet? Seriously, it’s important.

Imogen Birchard