Dusk til' Dawn

Dusk, 8:47p.m.

Looking down the scope of my longshotted rifle, trembling in fear that can only be explained through the enemies that are slowly encoutering my cooridinates. My skin is itching and burning from the insects of Vietnam that are biting and eating through my flesh. My objective is a "lone wolf" objective, meaning i'm only dependent on myself and the odds of surviving are against me. While the sun is going down, i'm left with limited time to breach the enemey and take over the warehouse thats about a half mile down the hill I am stationed on. I wait for one of the VK (Viet-Kong) to slowly wonder away from the group. I follow him with my scope and get a clean and quiet headshot. I regain my focus on the six other men that are guarding the outside of the warehouse. My time is fading and I must hurry because inside that warehouse is three of my fellow soldiers and a bomb that I must deactivate. I decide to relocate to get a better shot. My sniper rifle has six more shots. After that im left with a pistol and a knife. Another VK wonders off, I take a deep breath and then I take the shot.  I decide to progress slowly towards the enemy. I see three of the VK talking and the other two went inside the warehouse. I keep progressing and I manage to make it about 25ft away from the three VKs. I have one through my sights. I decide to take the shot and I pray that I have enough time to take out the other two. The first shot was a clear headshot. The next was a shot to the other man's jugular vein. The other VK was another clear headshot. I ran to the fallen VK that was holding his neck. He wasn't bleeding as bad as I thought he would have. My bullet must have just skimmed his neck. My orders were to leave no enemy survivors, so I took my knife and peirced it  into his neck and waited until his heart stopped beating. I went to the door that the two VKs from earlier went through. I could feel my hear pounding through my entire body. I slowly entered and hid behind what I believed was VKs crates of ammuntion. I look around and counted how many enemies I saw. There were 15 that I saw and then I saw my three men. One of them was hanging with his hands tied to a rope. He was split in half from his waist. The other two were unconscience and tied to chairs. I found the bomb and it only had 9 minutes left on the bomb. I saw a pattern on how the enemy was patrolling the area. One was very close to me so I grabbed him, covered his mouth and slit his throat. His blood was everywhere. I blacked out and all I saw was my Girlfriend that was back in the United States, waiting for me to return. I kept thinking what she would do if I didn't come back. Then I snapped back reality. I had 6 minutes left. I needed to hurry, I took my sniper and set up behind the crates. I shot two men down before the enemies realized that they were being breached. I got my pistol out and then progressed forward. 5 minutes left on the bomb. I see one of the VK running toward my fellow soldiers with a gun. I jump out and shoot him two times in the chest. I realize my position is givien away, so I have no other choice but to rush the enemy. I sprint toward a VK close by, wrap my arm around his neck and use him as a shield as I shoot at the enemy. I took out five more, and without firing a shot into the man I had wrapped around my arm, he had multiple bullet wombs from his fellow VKs. Theres eight more men and 3 more minutes. I throw my knife in the neck of a VK, and shoot three more in the head. I crawl behind an enemy and take the bayonnet off his weapon and throw it in the chest of another VK. 1 minute left, I charge toward my men and I shot my last to shots in my pistol into two more men. I untie my two surviving men and they become conscience. We run towards the exit and the last VK left is firing at us. I had no weapons left so I take of my helmet and throw it at him. It hit him on the head and he fell. We rushed out the door and ran up the hill. The warehouse exploded, shaking the ground and my body. We got over the hill and we saw an United States chopper waiting for arrival.

                                                                                                       -Scout Welchman III