18. the bully skipping rocks

"Last names A to M on this bus," Mrs

           "Last names A to M on this bus," Mrs. Johnson points to the bus behind her. "N to Z on that bus," she points to the bus right behind the first bus.

            I walk to the second bus and pause when I realize Lucas's last name is Adams. That means he and Corbin will be on the same bus.

            I look around the crowd of students to see if Lucas is here yet but he is nowhere to be seen. He told me he'll get here early. He must've overslept like always.

            I ignore the fact that they'll be sharing the same bus for 3 hours and get on my bus. I walk to the middle seats and sit down on an empty one next to the window. I like to stare out the window during car rides.

            I watch as more students just barely arrive and Mrs. Johnson and Mr. Stevens rush them into the bus. My eyes wander around and spot Lucas running to his bus with his bag sling over his shoulder. I smile at his messy look. He definitely woke up late.

            I think it's time I confess to him. School's almost over. We'll both be on our way to college. I better get it over with and see how he feels. I can't keep doing this anymore. I might get hurt but it's better to get hurt and move on with it than not doing anything about it and regretting it.

            Once everyone is on the bus and settled in, the bus drives off.

          3 hours later

            "Girls, this way," Mrs. Johnson points to the cabin on the right. "Boys, that way." She points to the cabin on the left. I sling the handle on my bag over my shoulder and walk to the cabin on the right, following Mrs. Johnson.

           Once Mrs. Johnson opens the door, we all enter, one by one. My eyes wander around the cabin. When I entered, the first thing is a small living room. On the side is a staircase leading up to the second floor. I walk further in and stumble into the small kitchen. It's not big or small, just perfect. I walk further and walk into a second living room. This one is bigger than the first one. It has a big screen tv on the shelve and a fireplace. There's a big couch in the middle. It is connected to the dining room.

           "Settle in girls. Upstairs are the rooms. There's not that many rooms so you'll have to share it. Don't worry. There's two twin beds in each room. On the doors to each room is your name and your roommate's." Mrs. Johnson announced before leaving the room.

            I walk back to the entrance and up the stairs to find my room. My roommate better be someone I like.

            I walk through the hall, looking at the names on each door for mine. I finally find my name halfway through the hall. Sofia Marie Bradshaw is written underneath mine. Bradshaw? Oh, she's the director's daughter. I don't really know her but she seems nice from the few times that we've talked at school.

           I open the door and enter the room. She's not here yet. I put my bag on the bed closest to the door. I fall down on the bed and lay there for a few minutes.

           I don't have anything else to do so I get up from the bed, down the stairs, and out the door. Might as well go outside and look around. Across from the cabins is a lake. Today's weather is perfect, sunny and warm.

          I walk away from the cabin and down to the lake. I see a familiar figure whose back is turn towards me. It looks like he's skipping rocks. I slow down my pace and watch as he flick a rock into the lake. It made three skips before submerging onto the water.

            I'm surprised that he could do that many skips because I can't skip a rock at all. No matter how hard I try.

            I watch as he picks another rock off the ground and flick it towards the water. It looks like he's having fun. He is human after all. He looks like an innocent boy just skipping rocks, not Corbin Foxx the Bully but just Corbin Foxx.

            He suddenly turns around and make eye contact with me. Surprised, I quickly freeze in my spot and turn away, hoping he didn't catch me staring at him. I spot Lucas making his way out of the cabin and a smile immediately appear on my face. I walk towards him. 

            CORBIN'S POV

            I miss Mom, the thought cross my mind as I flick the rock towards the water. I watch as it skips three times before stopping. The memories of Mom teaching me how to skip a rock flashes into my mind causing my eyes to water. I close my eyes and try to calm down, breathing in and out.

            I open my eyes and pick up another rock from the ground, flicking it towards the water again.

            The sound of footsteps behind me snap me out of my reverie and I turn around to see who it is. My face twist with confusion as I make eye contact with Hazel for a second before she turns away, pretending not to see me.

            I don't know why but a smile slowly makes its way to my face and I find myself walking towards her. I stop in my track when she walks away towards... Lucas. I can't help but imagine her smiling brightly while walking towards him. Something she will never do with me.