Prologue

Prologue

Paine

I leaned against the wall and listened to the conversation, I know I probably shouldn't have been so nosy. I couldn't help but overhear them, that and I was planning to get something from the kitchen.

"Xanthius is not who you think he is," Draekon started.

What?!

"What are you saying?" Mom asked confused.

"He's not her soulmate," he said simply. I froze in place.

How...I could have sworn...he said!

"I've met her soulmate. He's the king of the civilized demons, meanwhile Xanthius is on the opposing side. Xanthius is working with Caspian."

That was enough. More than enough.

I walked back into the living room. I stared at my siblings and their mates, then I stared at Xanthius. The guy I was so convinced I was in love with. The guy who said he loved me more than life itself. Lies. Those were just pitiful lies. I was being used, just to get to my mother.

Xanthius turned around and looked at me, he gave me a grin and motioned me over. I shook off the feeling. I couldn't let anyone know that I knew. I walked back into the living room and settled down next to Xanthius. He draped his arm around my waist and kissed my forehead.

"Hey mom, and dad! Why don't you guys kick back and relax?" Zane asked with a smile. We all turned to see mom and dad together, just like they always were.

Dad...he was so good at hiding his issues, it was frightening. I needed to stop thinking before he figured it out. Hell, he's probably in my head right now.

"I'm actually taking your mom out shortly, so we can't kick back and relax," he chuckled.

"Out again? Didn't you two go out for dad's birthday only a few days ago?" I asked.

Mom gushed. How did I get so unlucky. "We always go out, ever since we were teenagers," she smiled.

"Ever since you were a teenager, but I don't classify 17 as a teenager," dad grinned and looked down at mom. She rolled her eyes.

"There's only one reason why you say that," she said poking his chest.

Jeez...gross. Adorable, but gross.

He leaned down and whispered in her ear, she gushed even more.

"The reason why Ashton says that is because he slept with your momma on the first day he met her," Zyre grinned. Uncle Kai walked in and scowled at Zyre with pure disgust. Clearly he didn't approve of any of it.

"Yeah, we know," Kai murmured, "that was the greatest day of his life."

Mom took dad's hand. "Oh, boy, let's get out of here."

"Mom! I'm so disappointed in you!" I laughed.

I knew the real story. I knew everything.

I watched as everyone directed their attention to my parents who were still madly in love, and still drowning in secrecy.

They waved and left out.

"You're parents are incredible," Xanthius laughed, "I want us to be just like them."

Right.

"I love them," I said softly.

Xanthius pressed a kiss to my ear. "So am I staying over or are you coming over?" He whispered.