Meeting Allayne

I feel the reason that once a suspect in a murder case is pinpointed and the case no longer is about the victim but the killer is because people would rather listen to something that talks. It's easier to listen than to look for the truth. And I suppose the one thing I like about The esteemed Dr. Brennan is that she doesn't care to listen to the suspect. She doesn't listen for the truth from people who are lying. She searches the bones because she knows humans lie. She knows that the only thing she can fully trust in the world is bones because they cannot lie.

I also feel that if Dr. Brennan did not believe in bones, if she was like everyone else and wanted to take the easy way out, my killer would have never been identified. She would believe my sister in the interrogation room right now.

Agent Booth and Dr. Brennan sat across the metal table from Allayne McNeely in the interrogation room while their friend, Dr. Lance Sweets, stood, arms crossed, on the other side of the one-way glass.

"Okay," Agent Booth started, "tell us the story once more."

"Do I have to?" Silence. Allayne sighed and continued, "We were staying after school to practice for the upcoming musical auditions. The production was 'Annie' and we both were going out for the part of Miss. Hannigan," she pause and let out a depressed giggle, "it all seems kind of stupid now, the play. But as we were practicing, I could tell Carrigan was going to get the roll. It was easy to see, and since Carrigan got everything, it wasn't a hard to assume I had no chance." Allayne stopped. She took a deep breath before continuing, talking now at a faster pace, "I got jeolus and slammed her head into the stage. I dumped her body behind dumpster at the school and went home."

There was a lie in there. I never was going to get the roll as Miss. Hannigan. I can't sing and the director hated me. I would be willing to bet that if Agent Booth and Dr. Brennan knew that, they would have seen the bigger lie in my sisters so-called confession.

"So you killed your sister for a part in a high school play?" Booth asked, clarifying the ridiculousness of it. Instead of talking, Allayne looked away with tears in her eyes and nodded.

"Kids have killed for less in the past, Booth," Dr. Brennan started when the door to the interrogation room was closed behind them.

"Over a part in a bad musical?"

"In 1980, a 13 year old boy was convicted of murdering a four year old for teasing him about his glasses," Dr. Brennan rattled off a fact about the infamous Eric Smith.

"She was her sister, Bones," Booth expressed his thoughts while Dr. Sweets walked into Agent Booths office.

"Not everyone holds family up to the same standards you do, Booth."

"That may be true," Dr. Sweets injected, "but Allayne looked up to Carrigan, idolized her. They were all they had. Their parents were rarely around and they practically raised themselves."

"So what are you saying?" Agent Booth asked Dr. Sweets.

"I'm saying, I don't believe Allayne McNeely is the killer." Dr. Sweets replied. "The was she recollected the murder almost seemed rehearsed."

"He might be right," Dr. Brennan said glancing up from her phone screen. "Hodgins just sent me the results from the particulates found embedded in the fractures to the skull. It was concrete."

"Which means?" Agent Booth questioned.

"It means that Carrigan was either beat with or slammed against something made of concrete."

"But stages are usually made of wood and Allayne mentioned nothing about concrete," Booth stated the obvious.

A metaphorical fog of understanding settled around them as they realized Allayne may have been lying. Allayne may not be my killer, and they have my bones to thank for disproving her confession.