Chapter 1: The Dog Chase

Heart of a Prankster

Chapter 1: The Dog Chase

Bright sunny day, but unfortunately not too bright for me. Guess, bad luck was on my side today. I was waiting for my best friends outside Uncle John’s house, listening to my favorite songs on my iPod. Suddenly, my friends came bursting through the door and started a sprint. I was confused.

‘‘Hey guys! Wait……Inayat! Ziya! Wait…’’ I shouted at the top of my lungs and joined their little sprint. My friends were really good runners. I am a good runner too but today I was out of energy as I had skipped my breakfast. They stopped immediately on hearing my voice and turned to give a quick glance in my direction for two seconds and continued their little sprint again. What was wrong with them? Why were they running like crazy people?

‘‘What? Wait! Stop right there!’’ I shouted as they continued to run at a high speed.

‘‘Look back’’ they both shouted in unison. Immediately I stopped and did as they said. I was shocked. My eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. The last thing I expected to happen with me was mad dogs chasing me. Oh god! Oh god! What am I going to do now? My instincts worked and immediately my legs started to move on their own pace.

‘‘Run faster Aara! Run!’’ I kept saying to myself. I ran as fast as I could. I hate dogs. Argh! I hate them so much. I can’t believe the dogs turned me into an athlete within few seconds. I am not much of a sport person but I am a good runner. When I looked ahead, I started to panic more. I had lost sight of my friends. Geez! Now where did these guys disappear? For now, I couldn’t worry about those things as my life was at stake. I kept running fast and the hiatus between dogs and I had increased a bit. I felt a bit relieved but I could still hear their barking. When I turned around the corner of the road, I saw a yellow cab. In it I saw Ziya and Inayat , waiting for me. They held the door open for me.

‘‘Come on! Get in soon’’ Inayat said.

I didn’t think much and got inside the cab. As soon as I got in, Inayat asked the cab driver to move.

‘‘what was that guys? I can’t believe I ran like a mad person on the streets of Derby on Sunday morning. Just great……isn’t it guys?’’I said to them while shooting glares at them. I was a little upset with them.

‘‘Sorry Sid’’ they apologized. Sid was my nickname because I was sweet, innocent and a devilishly talented prankster.

‘‘its okay, care to explain what happened back there?’’ I asked them. I was curious to know their story.

‘‘Uncle John was lying on his armchair. He was snoring. It looked like he was in deep sleep. Inayat and I went inside the house to get his basketball back. We managed to get it back from uncle john’s possession but we did a mistake. When we were leaving through the back door, we stepped on something and his guard dog ‘Jazz’ started barking. We screamed and turned around and then escaped through the front door. We ran fast because Jazz was still following us and then we ran much faster because the street dogs joined Jazz to chase us. Sorry Sid for getting you involved.’’ Ziya said finishing the explanation.

‘‘Oh…It’s okay. But be careful next time and inform me so that we can make a better plan’’ I said and winked at them.

‘‘Sure Aara’’ Inayat said.

I leaned back in my seat and sighed in relief; what an interesting day it had been…………