Chapter 2 ***

A/N: Hi lovelies! I just wanted to forewarn you that this book is written from an American girl's perspective, but I myself am British. So, when reading, please forgive any lapses in the american way of spelling :) Love you all! Xx

🌸 MY SOCIAL MEDIA 🌸

🌸Instagram: thatgirlwhowrites_8

I PUSHED THE DOOR open with as much force as I could muster, watching on as it folded into the main hallway. After paying the forest one final glance I stepped into the threshold, wincing as the artificial streams of light fell across my vision.

I was home, yet I'd never felt so misplaced.

Thoughts tunneled into my mind, interrupting the serene silence with harsh whispers. I had been pushed from the Pack Link at the tender age of eight, but my abilities allowed for a connection of my own making. It was as if I was the heart of an intricate network, receiving floods of information and pulses of energy.

The mutt is back, they murmured, voices lanced with venom. It seems the sad bitch didn't die whilst she was outside.

I winced. After all the years of torture and abuse, it was the words of my former friends that stung the most. Broken bones eventually righted themselves, ligaments pulling them back into place. Words, however, carved an imperceptible wound on the heart- one that could never be mended, nor healed, with time.

"Is that the Omega?"

The familiar resonance of Alpha Derek's voice cut through me as if I was made of paper. The very thought of him evoked a cacophony of piercing, overlapping emotions. In one sense, he terrified me.

The ghost of his touch still marred my skin in purple bruises and ghastly lacerations. He was the monster my parents had warned me about- the infamous beast from the fables of my childhood, destined to wreak havoc and induce fear.

But fear had always been a precursor to hatred.

Although his looming presence brought about a tremble in the knees, it also induced a burning of the heart. Never had I wished so fervently for someone's untimely death. Never had I felt so compelled to give way to my powers- to feel the thrum of unadulterated strength beneath my skin, or to bask in the prickle of magic as if caressed by sand-imbued winds. I knew I was more powerful, and I knew I could kill him. By God, I wanted to.

But I knew better than to toy with fate. Hate tainted the soul with dark hues, offsetting its purity. To cave to my twisted desires would be to make hatred the centre of my universe and I, its willing servant, would merely revolve around it as the earth does the sun.

I couldn't do that to myself or my wolf or my deceased parents.

So I endured. I took the beatings without complaint, and accepted my exiguous meals with a smile. I didn't need sustenance- all I needed was the knowledge that with my first shift came my imminent escape.

"Autumn," Alpha Derek appeared in my peripheral vision, lips stretching outwards into a twisted smile. "I see you've returned from your jaunt in the woods. Would you like to explain why you're ten fucking minutes late?"

I cast my gaze downward. "I fell over. I didn't intend to be late, I swear."

He forcefully yanked my chin upwards with his finger. My eyes met his, and in those icy blue orbs I saw only pure hatred. His thoughts spilled into my mind, vicious and cold and blunt. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps I was a bitch- a lowly Omega, doomed to a life of misery. I cringed, bracing myself for the hit that never came.

"You fell?" he laughed, shoving me backwards. "Next time, try to fall off of a cliff instead. Do us all a favor and fucking die."

His words stung- more so than any physical infliction would have. Judging by the smug smile that overtook his features, he knew as much. I stared at him for a moment, awaiting a punch or a kick or a slap. Nothing. Just the prickle of an eerie silence.