Chapter Two

“You better have a good reason for not meeting us before homeroom- it’s our first day as seniors and you broke the tradition of meeting before homeroom on the first day of the school year!” Feliz (Felicity, really) one of my best friends, pounced on me the second I walked into Mr Grahams’ room (our homeroom). I never understood how someone could have this much energy at this inhuman hour, or at any time really. Feliz was just that sort of person. I kinda learnt to go along with it, but bring her down to Earth when her ideas got too crazy (which was often).

“Yeah, I know. I was just chatting to that new kid,” I explained and felt proud that I’d started a conversation by myself- especially with someone as good looking as Noah.

“New kid? Honey, there tons of new Freshmen.”

“No,” I said, rolling my eyes. “He’s in our year- has homeroom with Ms Philipson. His name is Noah.”

“So it’s a he?”

Trust Feliz to make such a big thing about me talking to a boy, “I talk to tons of boys- tons!”

“Oh yeah? Like who?” Before I could reply to Feliz’s mockery, she added, “Josh and Nathan don’t count.”

Silence.

Okay, okay. So I don’t really talk to boys who aren’t my friends or family. So what?

OMG! I talked to a (gorgeous) boy who I didn’t even know! Round of applause for Isi please.

“You’re smiling! You think he’s fit, don’t you?” Feliz said as she smiled knowingly. Feliz always smiled; maybe that’s why everyone nicknamed her Feliz, which was ‘happy’ in Spanish (according to Google Translate). Feliz was the most optimistic of all my friends whilst I was the most pessimistic by far. To her, every cloud had a silver lining; to me, every sliver lining had a cloud. I just didn’t see the point in getting your hopes up for nothing, or pretending that everything was okay when it wasn’t. Which was why Feliz was so great to hang around with- she was a motivator who always saw the best in you.

However, she wasn’t always the best secret keeper- which was why I wasn’t going to admit to her that I thought Noah was gorgeous. 

“No I don’t!” I lied. I’m a crap liar.

“Yeah, yeah. Of course you don’t,” Feliz smirked.

“Who doesn’t what?” Josh, my nosy Aussie friend asked as he swung his muscly arms around Feliz and I’s necks.

“Nothing,” I said, promptly, “nobody likes anyone.”

Josh looked at Feliz and raised his eyebrows; she nodded in return. Josh smirked and wolf-whistled.

“Aww, did somebody have a Summer love?” Josh cooed.

Did he really think that’s what the situation was? I thought to myself as Feliz rolled her eyes.

“No, idiot,” we said in unison, our eyebrows raised. “She never does anything in Summer! But she has the hots for this new boy, Noah!” Feliz added, excitedly.

“No I don’t!!” I huffed, annoyed not only by the fact that Feliz had read my mind and blabbed, but how Josh and Feliz had brought up Summer. In fairness, they didn’t what had happened to me- I couldn’t bring myself to tell them (or any of my other friends, for that matter) what had happened. Despite this, I was annoyed with them.

“Well, it’s somebody’s time of the month,” Josh joked, which made me smile in a eye rolling sort of way. BAM! My usual mood had returned, which wasn’t the most positive at the best of times- but still.