Chapter 13: Plans and actions

“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.” 

― Veronica Roth, Insurgent

Today, the woods seemed different. They loomed tall and brooding around me especially now that Irene had told me about those creatures (those whose existence I still doubted at a very elemental level); everywhere I looked, that’s all I could think of. I tried to distract myself by trying to keep on the right path and thinking of Irene but every now and then an odd sound would scare me out of my skin.

Half way down the dusty path in the woods, I was joined by Rufus who had decided to show up out of nowhere.

“Hey there little buddy. What are you doing up so early?” I was greeted by a low purring sound that came from his belly as I bent down and stroked his back. At a very crucial level, I was happy that Rufus had showed up so I wouldn’t be all by my lonesome till I found Irene. These past couple of days were really beginning to take a toll on my self confidence, but to be honest, I don’t think I ever was that confident to begin with. Every second I spent with Irene or with every new revelation of this world around me, it kept making me realize that I had some serious work to do, on not only my self esteem but also on being strong.

Rufus trailed along my side, occasionally stopping to look into the trees as if he saw something but when I looked to make sure, there was nothing but old parts of the woods. I was trying to remember how far into the woods I had walked before I found Irene when I was greeted to the sounds of light snoring. Praying to God that it be Irene, I looked around trying to place the sound. There was no one in plain view so I figured whoever it was, was taking shelter amongst the small bushes lining the trail I had walked on. Tip toeing towards the bushes, I carefully parted the ones on my right at first but found nothing. I then went over to some of the bushes on my left and lo and behold there was Irene balled up on the floor amongst berries. She was hugging her knees as she snored lightly and I noticed how small leaves were now one with her hair.

“Irene,” I murmured, not wanting to wake her yet still having to do it. “Wake up, I know it’s early but we have to get moving if we want to get anything accomplished today,”

I looked up at the sky which was now fully bright, indicating everything and everyone in the vicinity would now be waking up. The sooner I got further away from home, the lesser chances of dad driving past us but that would all be left to nothing if Irene didn’t wake up.

“Irene,” I gently called out to her. Her beautiful face sent out a silent plea to not have me wake her. All I wanted to do was let her sleep in her comfortable position and maybe just throw a blanket over her to keep her warm. But there were pressing matters to take care of, especially now that I had a plan all set up in my head.

“Irene! Wake up already,” this time really sounding out her name. I didn’t want to touch her for obvious reasons so being loud was the only option I had.

“Waa..” she was stirring from her sleep, releasing the proximity of her knees to her chest and stretching. I looked away.

“Get up. We’ll discuss how you decided to walk off by yourself right into the woods without telling me later, but first we have to get away from here. People will be waking up and school buses will be passing way to close from here” for some weird reason, I was very interested in Rufus’s russet fur patterns more than anything else. From the corner of my eye, I could see her stretch, sit up and groggily look around her.

“Oh, it’s you,” was all she said as she dusted off her clothes and stood up looking at me as though I had disturbed her from the best dream she’d ever had.

“Yes, who else did you expect, room service?” I couldn’t control my snarky comment. Here I was trying to save her from being abandoned by leaving my own folks behind without knowing what lay ahead and there she was being annoyed at me.

“What?” I have to give credit to the fact that she was genuinely confused as to what I was saying and I had no choice but to get further annoyed.

“Nothing. We have to get moving. Now!” I could feel the ground tremble; knowing that early cars had already hit the main roads heading towards town and soon others would be following.

“Jeez, you really are a morning person, aren’t you?” but I wasn’t listening. I was already adjusting my bag pack and heading further into the woods. I knew I wouldn’t be able to hear if she was running to catch up behind me, I was just hoping that she was.

Apparently, I was coming to terms with things.

©Hafsa T.M (aka HTMwrites)