I Didn't Wake Up Screaming

I sat in my chair, my legs curled underneath me. I scribbled down the last word to my essay and looked up triumphantly at Emily. "Done!" I said. 

     "I'm in AP classes, you aren't," she informed me grumpily. I shrugged and began to pack my books up in my bag. My phone gave a loud, angry buzz. I snatched it up, and looked at the ID. It was habit, even though Romeo hadnt texted or called me since Christmas. It was already late Feburary. 

     It was him. 

     I dropped my phone. Emily looked up at me. "Whats wrong?"

     "Romeo texted me..." I trailed off. She jumped from my couch and snatched the phone off the floor. "Hey!" I snapped. She rolled her eyes at me and looked at the text. 

     "Its all misspelled," she said angrily. "I cant read it." I grabbed it from her hand and glanced down at it. 

     Juliet, I've given you space. Please talk teo mewgfd np-

 "Weird," I muttered. My phone suddenly began to vibrate. The caller ID read Jake. I picked it up right away. 

     "Whats up Jake?" I asked. His voice shook as he spoke.

     And, as bluntly as an axe, he said "Romeo's dead."

   My heart collapsed inside my chest. The world seemed to shatter around me, and I fell to the ground. Emilys voice misted over, screaming what was wrong, and through my broken gaze I watched her pick up the phone and listen.

     I blacked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     He had been hit by a car. The impact had killed him. i heard this all in the next few days, but I didnt speak. Not at his funeral, not after.

     And then finally, sweetly, after a long life, I died too.

     When I went up, or wherever I went, I only thought of him.

     "I waited my whole life for you," I told him. We kissed, and this time I didn't wake up screaming.