ᵍᵉᵗ ᵈᵒʷᶰ ᵒᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵏᶰᵉᵉˢ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵖʳᵃʸ ⁻ ᵖᵗ⋅ ⁰²/¹²

AN

Sorry for mistakes, I'll edit 'em late.

So this chapter sucked.

Trailer on the side by the beautiful and talented Zain, @valuables

There is no such thing as soul mates in this book, you choose your mate. cx

ch. 01- get down on your knees and pray

"No, sweetheart- I need you to tell me why you're letting this pile of trash get away with it." Detective Murray's voice was deep, rolling over his tongue like hardened whiskey as he spoke to the girl in front of him.

She was human- according to the form she filled out, and signed with her shakey signature.

"He- he didn't do anything, I promise, just let me go, if he gets home, and I'm not there he's goin'-"

Murray cut her off, wiping his palms on the cowlick of his hair, "He's going to hit you, isn't he?" He hated it when he got a sharp tone with the victims of abuse, but this girl was about to turn around and march right back into her mate's home, "you're going to let him," he threw a file onto the cold table, the picture of Richard, a Delta wolf from two packs over, fell out. "He's your mate, I understand, but you find another man, and you can wipe the mating bond away."

"Detective, he isn't all bad, just a little rough around th-"

"He's been accused of domestic violence three times in previous relationships; let us get you out of this bad situation-"

"No," She cut off the older Alpha, her eyes flicking to him and then to the picture, "if you can't put him in jail, if you can't lock him up long enough for me to get out, he'll kill me." Her voice trembled, and Murray hated what he saw in the girl.

She was just out of high school; she had shacked up with an asshole, and got herself in a bad situation. There was still hope for her, but the pure fear in her eyes made Murray cringe back and think no, no there's not.

He was lying about the mating bond.

The only way you can wipe a mating bond away is through one of them dying. Maybe he'll wait a few hours to tell the girl her mate had ran at his partner, Jeb, forcing him to shoot at the man. He was in the hospital- put in emergency care with two bullets in his back, and internal bleeding threatening his life. If he dies, no one will mourn the monster.

"We can get you out, you're young, get you to college, get a good job, have a family- good deal, right?" He asked, letting the words falling out of his mouth as he tried his hardest to grin at the girl, "Got a future ahead of you, kid- Richy here doesn't have to screw it up for you." He told her, and rubbing the top of her shoulder as she nodded.

*

Johnny Murray likes to be called Murray.

He's the Alpha of Arden pack, a small piece of territory with twenty wolves that were always asking him when he'd settle down.

It's a good thing his dad kicked him out when he was sixteen and never spoke to him again, or he'd be too busy juggling pack responsibilities and the new investigation to bother visiting his high society parents.

They were both assholes, his mom was clearly only mated to his father because she needed clothes more than a real life. And his father: a total douche bag since Murray told him the only reason why mom stuck around is because she can't break the emotional bond between them.