Ch. Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One- Research

A single tapered candle was all that illuminated the library and it was all Evangeline needed to read by. Dozens of large and very old looking volumes were placed atop the large desk where a few days previously a corpse had lied, broken and bloodied just like the rest of the room. The library was now moderately tidier than when Drake claimed to have a plan and left Evangeline alone to her devices. A single inhalation still filled her nostrils with the stench of blood, though, a sign the massacre was defiantly lingering in the air. She wasn't bothered by it despite the aching in her fangs. The sensation of two fangs poking into her bottom lip was something she was used to by now, however. In fact, it steeled her mind and brought about a sense of focus she hadn't felt in a long while.

Having a pair of fangs reminded her that she was an animal now, an animal that was hunted. However, this animal wasn't some mindless beast, and she was determined to comb through the entire library to get some answers on her own. Before Drake left her again without coming back to explain, she accepted that if she wanted to know what he was going on about she would have to read. Surprisingly, it wasn't the chore she thought it would be. The love she held for reading deep in her heart, the loss of which she mourned so intensely that when she regained her sight she feared picking up another book. Her fears were proven silly when she did finally pick up a book that night and read.

Drake had said something about The Fair Folk before he left. The words reverberated in her head so loudly that they couldn't be ignored. She had to know why they sounded so familiar. When she opened that first book she remembered why.

Faeries. Drake's big plan to save Delia was Faeries. She had never met one personally, but she had seen them before at Delia's party that night that everything went wrong. Evangeline tried to forget Alex and Dean and Genevieve; how their blood stained the floor in pools. She focused on the strange creatures that roamed the manor that night. Everything about it was forever seared into her memory. She had never been so scared in her life. That night, she had waded through a crowd of sharks.

She was ripped from the memory at the sound of someone entering the library. Looking up from pages she had been staring blankly at, she saw Delia's figure coming towards her. Evangeline didn't get up from her chair to greet her. Delia's stature appeared resolute and her expression grim. A hint of curiosity crossed her face when she saw Evangeline hunched over a pile of books all pertaining to the same subject. She stopped in front of the desk raised a brow.

"I take it my brother told you his plan?" she inquired.

Evangeline half shrugged. "Sort of. I think I got the gist of it. Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Delia tilted her head at Evangeline, confused by her question. "What do you mean?" She leaned against the desk; peering at the book she had open.

The page was opened and from what she skimmed upside down, was about the dangers of dealing with Faerie Folk. The legends surrounding the race of mythical creatures often leading to the demise of many humans were various. Evangeline searched the other woman's face for an ounce of reassurance. She ultimately didn't find any.

"I've never asked a favor of them before, but I have been well acquainted with a number of them for a few hundred years. Hopefully my...friendship," a look of uncertainty flashed across her face at this before she schooled her features, "will hold some weight in the matter." 

Evangeline nodded her head, though it was obvious she wasn't convinced. "What exactly are you going to ask them for?"

Delia looked up from the pages to Evangeline's assessing stare. "I'm going to ask them for help."