Privilages

Prologue

I ran quickly to the shower, trying to make sure I would get done before my boyfriend got here. I undressed and got in, quickly did my routine and got out. By the time I was ready I still had twenty minutes to spare and I smiled to myself. Just long enough to make myself look good, I thought. I gathered all my things and walked out to put them away but when I passed the living room I saw him. My brothers were sitting on the table playing their game and my boyfriend Caleb was sitting on the couch behind them. He looked up at me and smiled, and I smiled back.

"Well you're here early!" I said. My brothers then paused they're game and looked up at me.

"Who are you talking to?" Said my youngest brother Gavin, and I just laughed.

"Caleb, of course!!" I said, looking behind them to the redhead on the couch. They turned around and looked around then turned back to me. "Are you alright Kayla?" Ethan asked.

"Of course I am!" I said. What was going on here? The boys just sat back down slowly and kept glancing at me. I saw Caleb get up and walk into my room so I followed him. He seemed different; a bit colorless. He sat down on my bed and I stood in front of him. When I finally looked at him closely I could see a strange silverness about him. He was practically glowing! Oh, no. I had read stories like this. No! It can't be! Caleb did NOT die! There's no possible way! He seemed to be reading my mind because he said,

"Yes Kayla you are right. On the way here there were some stupid teenagers and…and…well you get the point. Babe…are you listening to me?"

No, I thought. I couldn’t move or hardly think. My Caleb…my love…my life. He's….Gone.

"Listen Kayla, I don’t have long. I can't really control the times I can be visible yet. I have to earn that…which means I will have to go soon but I have got to talk to you first." Caleb said. I looked up at him finally and shook my head.

"Alright. Explain this to me. What is going on?" I said; my voice cracked near the end because I was trying not to freak out. He moved forward to caress my face but as soon as his hand got to me it disappeared and he sighed. He moved backwards and sat down on the floor in what looked like defeat. He said,

"Ok, yes I did die about thirty minutes ago but I've talked to some people to figure out how this is going to work and why I am still here. I was put back on Earth to protect you Makayla Elayne Mitchell. I was sent here to keep you safe and to make sure you live life to the fullest. The more I do that the more…privileges I, well we, will get. Right now, we don’t have any because I've just started. That’s why I cannot touch you love. I can feel them pulling me back now dear. Please try to keep this under control and don’t tell anyone else about it ok?"

I waited; trying so hard not to show my emotions, but I think he noticed.

 "I'll be back by noon tomorrow love. Try and keep sane and process this all." He said, to which I merely nodded. "I love you Kayla…"

I looked up only to see his deep brown eyes, which were slightly covered by his silver haze, staring straight into mine almost as if he was trying to read my thoughts.

"I love you to Caleb...for eternity" I replied with all the strength I could muster.

"Goodnight love." He said and then he was gone.

For a minute I sat there, stiff as a rod as I was before, then it felt as if I just deflated. I fell back on my bed but before the tears could start up again I got up and ran to my drawer. I yanked open the middle one and pulled out a pair of blood red, heavy duty scissors. I went back to my bed and reached under it, grabbed the cloth that lie underneath and set it on the ground beside my bed. I sat on the edge and as the tears came I pressed the scissors to right below the inside of my elbow and dragged them across my skin. No more of my usual quickness to save pain, I needed it now. As I brought the scissors back to the same place and cut again I had to keep from screaming. Knowing my brothers were home I set the scissors down and grabbed a small pillow off my bed.

I stuffed the pillow in my mouth and picked up the scissors again. This time I moved a bit further down towards my hand and I pointed the scissors down at an angle and sliced them across my flesh. I screamed into the pillow and dropped the scissors after a few more cuts. When I had finished screaming I looked down to see all the trails of blood streaming down my arm onto my clothes and dripping a steady beat down onto the cloth.

Staring at the blood made me feel sick and I could feel the bile rising in my throat so I quickly picked up the cloth, wrapped it around my arm, and ran to the bathroom. I threw up a few times and then simply laid down on the cool wet floor which suddenly felt incredibly nice. I was sweating and my head my spinning but all I could do was press my check to the cool bathroom floor and clutch the cloth to my arm…hoping to die.