Chapter 2

Astrid's P.O.V.

"The scores have been added up," the announcer says as me and a majority of the other competitors walked from the water, "In first place, Queen Astrid. In second place, Kind Hayden. And in third, Heather Berserk." People start swarming around me, asking me questions, shoving microphones in my face, and pushing cameras in front of me.

"Astrid, are you jealous about having to share your throne?"
"Your majesty, do you feel disappointed in your performance today?"
"If you could go back and change something, what would you do differently to improve your score?"

"One at a time please. I have one mouth, one voice," I say.

"Answer mine first," a woman says, stepping forward, "Are you jealous about having to share the spotlight and your throne?"

"Not at all. I am not one of those people who is so desperate to be on top that they can't let someone else have a taste of victory. I simply love the ocean, and my feelings help me to..." I paused, looking for the right way to put it, "I guess become one with the water."

"Now me!" a man cheers as he pushes the woman aside, "Are you the tiniest bit disappointed in your performance today?"

"Where were you during the last wave, dude? Ever since I set foot in the ocean, I have dreamed of catching a tube like that. I wouldn't change a thing about my ride today," I answer.

"Over here, over here!" I turned to a woman who put a microphone to my face. "Is there any attraction toward the new king coming from your direction?" I stared at her.

"Oh, so just because he's the 'king of the waves' I have to be drawn to him to the point where I want to rip my clothes off and sprawl out on his board? I will say this once and if you edit it in anyway, or twist my words the slightest bit, I will make sure your career as a reporter doesn't see another sunset," I say and she nods before the camera gets lifted by the camera man. I look into the lens with a shark stare. "I have not, do not, and never will experience any affection for any male character that isn't my grandfather," I tell them.

"What about your father?" someone asks and my heart jerks in my rib cage.

"No more questions please," I say curtly as they call the finalists to the podium. I step onto the first place platform and Heather and Hayden take their places on either side of me. We accept our trophies and climb down before Heather and I walk to the concession stand.

"Hey, good job you guys," a guy says and he pats our shoulders as he walks passed us.

"Thanks, Snotlout. You weren't bad yourself," Heather says.

"I agree with him, nice job out there," Hayden says as he joins us.

"Why are you still wearing that mask?" I ask him as he sits next to me.

"Helps keep the sun out of my eyes," he replies.

"Well, most use sunglasses," Heather says suspiciously. He just shrugs.

"So where're you from?" I ask.

"Uh, few miles east," he says.

"You live in the ocean?" Heather asks, raising an eye brow.

"On, the ocean. My dad has a yacht," he says and I narrow my eyes.

"Wa-ow," Heather says from the corner of her mouth.

"Something tells me you don't spend a lot of time on it," I muttered under my breath before ordering a virgin Pina Colada.

"Already?" Heather asks.