Chapter 6

"Nathan?"  Both of our mouths fell open in shock as we muttered his name together.  He spun around, his eyes growing wide at the site of Paige.  He quickly stumbled backwards, caught his balance, and looked at us, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Oh, hey," he said, flashing a distorted grin at Paige.  I couldn't help but chuckle as I watched him try to collect himself.

Paige rocked back and forth on her heels, trying to avoid eye contact.  "Nathan," she said.  "Morgan told me -- I mean, I thought -- you had to take the test!"

"I did," he said, looking at me with a smirk on his face.  "And?"

"Well, you passed?"  Both of our eyes were still wide with disbelief at the sight of him alive.

"Yup."  He took a step closer to me, and the smirk disappeared from his face, replaced by a more serious expression.  "You saw me the day they took me away, didn't you?"

"U-um," I stuttered, "Well, kind of . . . I-I was just walking by and I saw them bringing you to the car -- I mean, not to sound rude, but wouldn't anyone who objected be . . . you know, killed?"

"Yeah."  He straightened his posture, taking on a more confident stance.  "I was lucky.  Perhaps they noticed something in me that convinced them otherwise . . . maybe the fact that I was physically stronger than most."

I looked over at Paige, who was rolling her eyes.  "Well, congratulations," I said, turning back to him with a smile plastered onto my face.  "Can you tell us what you have to pass?  Like what kind assessments --"

"I'm afraid not," he muttered, fidgeting nervously with the cuff of his plaid sleeve.  "They might be listening . . . I'm not allowed to tell.  Sorry, I just can't take any risks."

I frowned.  "You mean you can't say anything?"

"Yes."  He cleared his throat, and I could tell he didn't want to continue this conversation.  "Well, I gotta go.  See you around," he said, slowly backing away from us and starting to walk towards his house.

"Okay . . ." I said, giving a slight wave.  "Bye."  Then, I turned towards Paige, who looked annoyed.  "Well that was disappointing," I said, my eyes focused on the rough concrete of the sidewalk as we started to head down our street.

"I know."  She sighed, a heavy breath penetrating her pursed lips. 

"Paige, can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"I was wondering why you and Nathan broke up.  I mean, he was really --"

"I don't want to talk about it, Morgan, sorry," she said, walking faster so that she was now a few paces ahead of me.

I stayed silent for a moment, studying the way her whole body had grown tense, the way her fists clenched and her eye twitched at the mention of his name.  It made me curious.  "O-okay . . ." I replied softly.  "Was it really that bad?"

"I said I don't want to talk about it!" she retorted.  I stopped in my tracks, surprised at her tone of voice.  There was something awfully wrong with her.  She turned around, her expression suddenly growing soft and an apologetic look forming in her eyes.  "I'm sorry, Morgan, I really am.  I just . . . I'll tell you when I'm ready, okay?"

I smiled slightly and gave her a reassuring look.  "I understand -- I know it's only been a couple of weeks."

"Thanks," she said as we rounded the corner to her house.  "It's a bummer that he couldn't tell us what was required for the test."  She shifted her gaze towards the ground, pushing a clump of hair behind her ear.

"I know!  I wish --" Then, I was interrupted by the sight of a vehicle parked in Paige's driveway.

A white van.

"Ohmygod."  The words came out slurred together as I realized that this was the same vehicle that had driven Nathan away from his house.  This was serious.  I grabbed Paige's shoulder, explaining what had happened the day he was taken away.  Her eyes grew wide as she listened, and she looked frantically from me to the van.

"D-do you think they came for me?"  she asked, her voice trembling as she took a step back.

"Well you're not supposed to take the test in another two weeks!  Unless --" I shook my head.

"Unless what?"

"Well, your birthday is this weekend, right?  That's when you're turning eighteen.  What if you read the date wrong on the letter?"

Paige's face grew paler than I'd ever seen it.  "You're . . . you're probably right -- I-I kind of skimmed through it!  Oh my god, Morgan, help me!"  Just then, a few men in black suits exited the van and approached her door.  Paige let out a small yelp, and all three of them spun around quickly.

They advanced at incredible speed towards us, their long strides almost inhuman.  And just as Mrs. Reenez burst through the front door.  Paige's mother screamed at the sight of them and sprinted down the hill, gaze focused on her beloved daughter.  "What's happening?!" she cried, reaching the government officials and planting herself in front of them.  But they shoved right through her, a wall of black impenetrable to anyone who tried to break through it.

And they were heading straight for my best friend.

All Paige and I could do was stand there, hard as stone and overcome with shock.  Just as the men started to enclose the few meters remaining between us, I shouted, "Run!"

It took her just a split second to do exactly as I had said.  She quickly turned around and started to sprint back down the sidewalk, in the direction we'd come. 

But she wasn't fast enough.

They caught Paige easily, immobilizing her by grabbing onto her arms firmly.  Then, they hauled her back towards the van parked next to her garage, Mrs.  Reenez trailing closely behind.  "You can't take my baby!" she was shouting through tears and sobs of despair.  "Put her down this instant!"  She ran faster and faster until she was able to catch up with the government officials.  But they simply kicked her to the cold ground, as if she was a worthless insect.

And that's when I was able to knock some sense into myself.  Paige's mom was unconscious.  And Paige herself, A.K.A. my best friend, was being taken away to her doom.  I took off up the hill, panting as I tried desperately to run through the snow surrounding my ankles with every step.  My attempt failed, though, because the men had already thrown Paige into the van and started backing down the driveway. 

"No!" I screamed, pounding my fists into a clump of snow.  "Nonononono!"

That was the last straw.  I collapsed onto the icy pavement, curling into a fetal position as tears streamed down my face and splattered onto the cold pavement.

All hope had been drained from my body, leaving me empty inside.

Paige was gone.

And as a result, so was my life.

Suddenly, a surge of anger passed through me and I stood up, clenching my hands into fists.  I needed to save her.  I needed to find a way to help her in any way I could, just as I promised.  Without thinking, I bolted towards the house, threw open the front door, and came to a stop at the kitchen counter.

The card was still there, with the woman's number on it from the cottage we had passed a few days ago.  I had no choice now but to call her, no matter how creepy she was.