Chapter 10.

"Bye Melissa," the girl waved at me as I exited the building. "Bye," I waved at the girl, she was sitting beside me in my last class. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I struggled to match a name with her face. Truth to be told, I'm totally hopeless when it comes to remembering names. I continued to clench and unclench my fist as I walked down the New York streets. The professor in our Economics class had given us so many notes to write, that now my fingers felt like they will drop at any moment. And also, he scheduled a test to take place at the end of the week. I mean who does that, it's only the first day of college and we are given loads of work to do. I feel like strangling myself with my book, but it will not probably bend enough.

I continued to walk down the streets as I tightened my coat around myself, trying to preserve the warmth until I reached the subway. Setting my backpack comfortably on my shoulder, I walked down the sidewalk, quietly mouthing the lyrics of Rolling in the Deep by Adele. After walking for about 15 minutes, I finally reached the subway station. And after I boarded the train, it took me just 5 minutes to reach the station closest to my apartment. I exited the train and walked out of the station.

As I was walking down the streets to my home, I came across a cute coffee shop and saw a sign of HELP NEEDED. I should go and try out for the job. It will help me with my expenses. The scholarship will provide everything from electricity to water to tuition and I only needed help for groceries and my personal expenses. As soon as I entered the shop, I was engulfed with the strong aroma of fresh coffee. The place was filled with teenagers and some corporate workers.

I walked up to the counter, a young woman was working as the cashier, she looked to be of 23 years of age, she had a warm smile on her face as she asked me "How can I help you miss?"

"Can I have a gingerbread latte?" I asked her. She simply nodded her head and typed in the cash register.

"That will be $3.50," she said. I quickly took out a $5 bill and handed it to her. She then kept the money in the register and handed me the change.

"I will be right back with your order." She said and scurried off to make my order. Fortunately, I have to wait for only a few minutes for my drink.

"Here is your order," she said and handed me the drink.

"One more thing," I said to her just as she was about to turn around.

"Yes?" she asked.

"I would like to meet your manager," I said as I took a sip of the coffee.

"Why, is there something wrong with our service?" she asked frantically.

"No, there's not a problem," I said trying to reassure her.

"I saw the sign outside, I need a job, so I came here," I added.

She looked a little relieved and scurried away and pretty soon she came back followed by petite, old women. She looked to be about 60 or something.

"Alicia told me that you wanted the job dear?" The old lady asked me while pointing at Alicia, the cashier/barista, who made my drink.

" Yes ma'am," I responded nervously.

"That's so nice if you dear, if you want to work here, then all of you have to do is, fill up this form and give it to me, and if I will find that everything is alright, then I'll call you up, and we can discuss your timing, as you appear to be a student and also your paycheque," she said.

"And by the way, my name is Julia." She added.

I took the form from her and examined it, it was pretty simple, only casual bio-data was asked. "Can I fill it now?" I asked her.