Silver Bell | Chapter 04

"Are you ready to come in yet?" Tonks called impatiently. Admittedly, she felt emotional at the sight of Ida outside for the first time in her memory, but it was beginning to grate on her nerves.
Plus, she really wanted dinner.
"Yep!" Ida replied cheerfully, the smile that hadn't been plastered on her face for so long was unfading.

Bounding like a deer up the porch, Ida was still in disbelief that there was so much of the world that she hadn't explored.
Tonks twisted the doorknob, and it swung open to reveal a carpeted hallway.
"You go in first, kid." Tonks waved her hand, and Ida entered, the scent of a fire hitting her nose like a cannonball.
"Is everything alright in there?" Ida asked cautiously, and Tonks chuckled.

"Definitely, don't worry." She reassured. "Mum, Dad! Ida's here!" She added, raising her voice and directing it to the parents Ida had yet to meet.
Footsteps trotted towards the hall, and two pleasant-looking people came into view.
"She's here!" The older woman cheered, before approaching Ida and wrapping her in a hug.

The older man settled for a firm handshake, his eyes glittering with warmth.
"I made dinner for us all - Nymphy here has been waiting all day for it." He chuckled, remaining oblivious to Tonks's scowl at the nickname.
"Nymphy?" Ida questioned, glancing confusedly towards Tonks.

"My name's actually Nymphadora," at this, she scrunched up her features, "but I hate that name so I just go by Tonks."
"Anyway, I'm Andromeda, dear, and this is Ted." The older woman -Andromeda- introduced, smiling gently at Ida.
"It's... it's lovely to meet you." Ida responded, stuttering as her mouth gaped open in a huge yawn.
"Oh the poor thing must be exhausted, go sort out her sheets Tonks, darling. Remember, she's sleeping in your room!" Andromeda shooed a grumbling Tonks up the stairs.

"Now, let's get some food into you. I know you must be starving after your first time apparating."

↜↭↝

After Ida's hunger was satisfyingly sated, and her thirst was quenched, she had headed up to Tonks's room to prepare herself for bed.
But as she slipped on the nightgown she had been lent, she couldn't help but think about what Katie was doing in this moment. Had she eaten a wonderful dinner as well? Was she now getting ready to sleep?

Ida couldn't imagine Katie being dead. Surely she would've received news on her passing.
Furrowing her brows and plodding towards her bed, she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more than just staying with Tonks and her family.

But what was it?
Crawling into the bed, Ida pulled the blankets up to her chin, and stared towards the window.
Stars twinkled in the distance, and an owl hooted. Ida couldn't believe that mere hours before she had never been outside.
A relieved smile curled her lips upward.

She was somewhere.
She finally felt like she could recover again.

↜↭↝

Ida sat up abruptly in her bed, cold sweat dripping down her back.
Glancing fearfully at the window, the invisible claws of worry clamping down in her chest released.
"Well good morning to you too, kid." Tonks's voice, thick with drowsiness.
Ida covered her mouth with her hand, hot tears prickling at her eyes as she peered at a sleepy-looking Tonks.

"What's wrong?"
Ida didn't respond for a while, caught up in her own world.
"I-I heard her..."
"Katie?" Tonks asked, her features softening. Ida nodded, very much upset.
"Do you want me to take you down to Mum? We've actually got to explain some things..."

"Is she d-d—"
"No, no, she's perfectly fine."
At this, joy surged through Ida, and a beam made its way onto her face, her tears drying up swiftly. Tonks heaved herself out of her cocoon of blankets, and trudged to the door.
Beckoning Ida over, she raised a brow.
"Well, do you want to talk to Mum or not?"

Ida nodded hastily, before forcing herself to get out of the comfortable bed.
Tottering towards Tonks, Ida regained her balance and followed the older girl out of the room.
"Mum?" Tonks called out, before sniffing the air.
"Mum's probably cooking these feasts to impress you." Tonks laughed lightheartedly, and pointed towards the staircase. "She's in the kitchen."

Clambering down the stairs while thanking Tonks profusely, Ida was surprised she didn't trip.
"Um... Andromeda?" Ida squeaked timidly when she reached the doorway.
Andromeda swivelled around and grinned warmly.
"Good morning, dear. Did you sleep well?"
Ida nodded, before shyly speaking.
"That bed was really comfy."

Andromeda chuckled.
"It really is, isn't it? I remember when Tonks was about thirteen and couldn't sleep on her own, I'd sleep in that bed beside her."
Ida let herself manage a smile.

"Now, let's get some food into you before I need to discuss a few things."