Exile Her

Dear Father, 

I am writing in fear that you are not safe and in dire danger...

I wanted to inform you I am doing all I can to restore your freedom and that I safe with the Prince. He has taken me in and I am currently staying at the palace. He will be announcing our engagement soon, I assume, and soon after I suppose I will be Queen. 

Such a strange, exhilarating idea...but it's now my reality, father, and I know you knew it would happen. Didn't you?

I wish you would have told me the truth. About everything...About mother, and the Beast, and Marie. She's a witch. I fear you never had a choice in marrying her or worse - you truly do love her and never figured out the truth about who she is or love her despite it.   

Irregardless, the important thing is that I am going to marry the Prince. It is agreed upon, and you will be free. 

I hope to see you again soon father...just please do not return home to Marie. A life under her thumb is not worth living and I will be seeing to it that she is punished for her crimes. 

I love you, always...

Sincerely, Charlotte.  

I drop my quill onto the wooden desk, beside the dozens of discarded drafts of my letter. I decided to keep it as simple as possible, in fear that my current begrudging attitude might show otherwise. I am not particularly pleased with my father...but I know soon enough I will be less angry, and more disappointed and sad that things have turned out this way. I wouldn't want father to know how angry I am now. He would be heartbroken to believe his daughter held a grudge towards him for his actions. 

Though, he still has to know my wish. My wish that he had told me the truth rather than hide it from me since childhood, and then flee when the reality set in. His run off is likely what made him so vulnerable to being captured by the Beast in the first place.  

I thought we had a different, more trusting relationship than that...

Obviously not. 

After I folded up the parchment and tucked it away in the breast of my dress, I finally set my mind free for a few hours, browsing the shelves, and day dreaming stories I would love to write myself. I struggled to stick to an amount of books I could carry, but I managed, picking a few of my favourite classics, and a few new ones I found intriguing. 

I left the library then, and went back to my empty room. After filling my bookshelf, I did as told and went down to join the Prince for a meal. 

Usually, I rather curl up and begin reading, but I am absolutely starving. 

As I make my way down the hall the butler, Sebastian, takes my arm. "Allow me to lead you to the dining area, miss. The Prince is already waiting." 

I blush, and make an effort to walk slowly. I remember how disgruntled the Prince appeared when I mentioned my second thoughts on the marriage. He didn't seem to acknowledge that they were thoughts I now wish to take back. He only sees them as a low blow to his pride, no less, or possibly a discredit of how handsome I believe him to be. 

Which is very much indeed...

"Charlotte." He stands at my entrance. 

He sat at the far end of the long, rectangular table. A large array of different foods lay between  us, along with a decadent red wine already poured for me. 

He motions for me to sit, as I struggle to read his expression, which currently remained the definition of unreadable. Before sitting, he asks, "Do you have the letter ready?" 

I nod mutely, and pull it out for him. He takes it promptly and stiffly, clearly avoiding my gaze now. He must still be angry...I wince noticeably and seat myself. 

"I'll see it's sent to him immediately. I have already sent word to the Beast to release your father. There's no need to keep him if you're sure that you're sticking to your word." He states, his eyes searching mine. 

Does he not trust me? Well, I suppose the same day I accepted his engagement I backpedaled immediately against my word...I already broke one promise. 

"I am sure. I promise." I reply quietly. "I swear on my mother's grave." 

"No need to swear on that." He softly replies, finally exhaling a deep breath. "I believe you." 

We both dig into our food in relief. "I will never mislead you again." I promise. 

He nods, sipping his wine with a small smile. "No, I would hope not. Our life ahead doesn't have room for such things." 

I scoff, but am more or less at ease. My father will be freed, he will hear from me and know my whereabouts...only two more concerns on my mind to take care of. 

"What's bothering you now?" Carlos groans. "I can tell when that cute little nose scrunches up that something is bugging you, and it can't be because you've smelled something rotten because this food is absolutely scrumptious." He sets down his eating utensils and waits, now back to his old self. 

"I am just worried...about Marie." I admit. 

"Your stepmother? She can't touch you here." He assures me quickly. 

"Yes, I know, but what of my father? Surely, she needs to be punished and banished from the Kingdom so that she can't ruin his life any more than she has." I spite, without even taking a moment to consider my words...then again, it has been years since she did this to me. Could she have changed? She may hate me, but she technically has never mistreated my father directly. Plus  there is Laurie and Harriet to consider. They are simple girls, who haven't done anything but follow their corruptive mother's commands. Do they really deserve to be exiled for their mother's sins or be left behind without their mother to take care of them? 

"If it is what you wish, I can easily explain her crimes to my father and have him exile her. I'll explain she is a danger and threat to you. That alone will be enough to send her off forever. I'll simply leave out that she was the witch that completed your change alongside the Beast. That's a tiny detail he doesn't have to know." Carlos is quick to offer, clearly having no issue in telling a tiny white lie to his father on my behalf. 

I hesitate, but give in. "Alright. Yes, exile her." 

Werewolf Brideजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें