Chapter 1: Blind

The worst decision the world ever made was to uninvent mages. Mages didn't exist in the strictest sense, but when science caught up to the present, then the mysticism of abilities ended. Fire mages became pyromancers, water mages to hydromancers, and healing mages to vivamancers.

Seti Tutt liked the word mage and magi far better than the mancer titles. It was a mistake to change those names, just like it was a mistake to force students to report to the office at year's end.

Everyone pretends to not be nervous when they're waiting to get called. At least Seti hoped that was the case; otherwise, he'd have to admit a weakness.

The office door opened and a student came out. From the office behind him, a man's voice called, "Cole." The student counselor.

Another student went into the room and closed the door behind him. Only half a dozen students remained in the hall.

Seti sighed. He realized his foot was tapping unconsciously so he forced it down, only to have it start up again. This wasn't even a serious meeting; it was just the end of the school year wrap up.

What was it that you want to do after you graduate the university? What people have you contacted so far? And Seti's personal favorite: You have potential. The same thing was said to every student with a slight variation to make them think the counselor took each one seriously.

And yet Seti was still nervous. Maybe it was an authority thing, though he preferred to think it was human nature. It was times like this where he used a trick to calm himself down. Seti closed his eyes, slouched forward in his chair, and turned the palm of his hand towards his face.

A light breeze started to flutter from his hand.

This was his ability. Moving air with his hand was something Seti had been able to do since he was young. It helped focus and ground him. He felt the features of his face with more definition when he controlled the air.

Everyone had something. Some people could breathe fire, others could create energy blades, and there were those who could heal the body. But everyone had something. The question was how strong you could be with that power

Seti was remarkably weak. This was exactly why he had decided to not pursue any careers that made use of his abilities. If there was one thing he knew the counselor wouldn't say, it would be that he had potential to grow as an adept.

The office door opened again and Cole stepped out.

"Seti," the counselor called out.

Seti stood, took a deep breath and walked in, shutting the door behind him.

Henry Adams read the plaque on the front of his desk. The counselor had his certificates lined up on the walls to each side, a shelf of books, and basic family pictures. The usual teacher's office look.

"Mr. Adams." Seti nodded.

"Please, call me Henry."

"Sure."

Seti sat opposite him. After a brief silence Seti realized that the counselor wasn't going to start the conversation. Was he trying to act like a therapist?

Seti made himself comfortable in his chair, clasped his hands together, and spoke in a deep voice. "So how may I help you today, Mr. Henry?"