thirty two

"I feel your faith always."
-Taste, Rhye
________________________________

I'm woken in the morning- a Sunday- by a short knock on my door. I crawl out of my bed and try to stop the thoughts of last night from coming back to my mind. Running my fingers through my hair, I open the door.

Seth is standing there awkwardly, shifting from one foot to the other. He isn't smiling, which is odd on his face, like his entire face was made to have a smile planted on it. He's wearing a signature black leather jacket and dark jeans with black vans on his feet.

Running his hand through his golden blonde hair, he says, "I'm sorry for waking you up so early."

I smile and shake my head, suddenly feeling self-conscious in my black shorts and loose white top. Subtly pulling at the hems of my shorts, I reply, "It's alright. Can I help you with something, Seth?"

He fidgets uneasily, making an effort to avoid my questioning gaze. "You see, the fight yesterday. There was an agreement..."

I had completely forgotten about that. "Right."

"You-um...I think you should come with me," he says, finally meeting my curious stare with an awkward one.

I frown, confused. "Is everything alright?"

He nods quickly. "I'm sure it will be, doll."

I smile and motion to my room with my thumb. "Give me five minutes."

***

Once I'm dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans and a black top with black boots, I run a brush through my hair and tie it up in a ponytail.

Swinging open the door, I follow Seth down the stairs.

"I thought you were really cool in the fight yesterday, doll," he says, looking down at me cheerfully. "I just wanted you to know that."

"Thanks, Seth. Let's just hope it doesn't catch up to me," I reply, keeping my eyes trained on the floor.

"Alec really scored with you, that's for sure," he says with a laugh.

It eases the tension, but I can only release a humourless laugh.

Once we make it down the stairs, we head across the corridor and towards the library. It's eerily silent, many of the other students still fast asleep. It's a Sunday, meaning no one should be awake for a long time since breakfast starts later than normal.

We stop outside the closed door, and Seth turns to face me, expression serious. "I just want you to know that I don't think you deserve what's going to happen."

I frown, only becoming more confused.

He presses his lips together and opens the door, revealing a library full of Fighters. The librarian is nowhere in sight, but I guess it's too early for her to be down here anyway.

When they hear the door swing open, squeaking on its hinges, the Fighters stop speaking and turn to stare me down.

"What have I gotten myself into?" I mumble to Seth, giving him a sideways glance. He shakes his head. The students are standing in a large semi-circle around the door.

"Olivia Mitchell."

I look away from Seth and towards the owner of the voice. It belongs to a small girl, standing at the front of the crowd. She has a tight brown braid and light blue irises, something that should be cute but isn't with her angled eyebrows and sharp eyes. Alec is nowhere in sight.