Chapter 10

I can see it in your eyes. I don’t know where you’re going, but follow your heart.

Marty and Angie knew that something big was up. They had been summoned upon their return to Area 51 to a special meeting with both General Wilson and Arthur. The recent attack on the X-2001 weighed heavily on their minds and the mood was somber.

General Wilson had his usual resolute face on. “We’ve reviewed your recordings of the alien encounter, your actions in this matter were exemplary. You both are to be congratulated for your effective use of tactics to defend the ship. It is one more justification for sending you on these missions. In light of this unprovoked attack and the continuing assaults on the citizens of Earth, we have come to the conclusion that we need a manned presence in space. Pursuant to this judgment, we are in the process of the creation of a Space Command, which will be responsible for the defense of the planet Earth and the exploration of space.”

“Is this an international effort?” Marty asked.

“Yes, it is. Earth now has a common enemy and our petty differences have no place in the big picture. Most nations knew that there has been a threat from outer space, but the true nature of this threat was not clear. Now, we can state that we have known about this threat since 1947 and have been taking steps to counter it. I defer to Arthur, who will provide you with the details, but I want you to know that your efforts to find the alien home world are of the utmost priority.”

Arthur took the podium and cleared his throat. “You’ll be happy to know that you and your crew are going on leave. We are in the process of having a new more advanced star ship built and it will be flown up to our new Space Port where you and your crew will be stationed for the next missions.”

“Is this Space Port part of the ISS?” Marty asked.

“No. The ISS will remain in orbit and be the primary platform for zero gravity experimentation. The Space Port employs Antigrav technology and has much more advanced facilities for you and your crew as well as the maintenance crews for the new ship.”

“How long is our leave?” Angie asked.

“You have four weeks from today. You will report to Edwards at 0800 on the fifth of October. You may go wherever you wish, but you are under orders not to discuss the aliens or the new ship’s missions to find the alien star.”

“How more advanced is this new ship?” Marty asked.

“Well, for one thing it’s much larger. You will not be able to land it on Earth. That’s why the Space Port is being built to accommodate it. Besides the dock, the port has provisions for over five hundred people. The ship itself is over twice the size of the X-2001 and is fitted with more weapons and more advanced Landers.”

“Can a ship that large still go through a singularity?” Marty asked.

“The engineers assure us that it will. In fact, it will be able to make a longer jump than the X-2001 could. You two will take it out on its maiden flight and test it on a short jump.”

Here we go again: guinea pigs are us.

“Since this new ship is larger, will the crew be expanded?” Angie asked.

“That’s a possibility, but we’re still discussing that. Additional crew members would be useful, but since these missions are dangerous, risking more people at this time may not be wise.” He smiled. “Have a nice leave, and we’ll go over your next mission when you get back.”

Marty and Angie smiled back, but they were not looking forward to going out there in a brand new ship. They had barely gotten used to the last one.