Chapter Nineteen

When the imperial envoy departed, I went back to my chambers. The first thing I did was check the golden lion emblem inside my jewelry box to compare it to the badge on my chest. But to my surprise, it was gone. I asked Xiao Yu if she saw anyone enter my courtyard but she shook her head.

Did I misplace it?

I didn't linger on it anymore. If its gone, then its gone. I already have my own golden lion emblem and I have no use for another one. I have more pressing matters to think about.

Its probably fake anyway.

As soon as we entered the imperial capital's gate, a group of royal guards welcomed us. They escorted our carriage towards the Bai Manor.

There were a lot of people gathered in front of our house. They've heard that the Emperor gave the Bai Manor's young miss the title of a first princess and they were curious of me. They haven't seen me since I always stayed at the Western Border and now is their chance to get a glimpse of me.

No wonder the royal guards are here.

I took a quick peek outside and was stunned at the amount of people. The whole street was full!

The royal guards made a way through the crowd for our carriage to pass through. After covering my face with a sheer veil, I descended out of the carriage with the help of Xiao Yu. I ignored the endless chattering from the crowd and entered the manor.

Once inside, the servants led me to the receiving hall where a number of people were waiting for me.

What is this?

Once they saw me they all stood up and exclaimed, "greetings to the first princess!"

I sat on the chair in front of the hall where father used to sit. My eyes drifted towards the spectators and noticed their clothings. It was the same uniform as the palace servants are wearing.

"What brings you here?" I asked in a calm but assertive tone.

A eunuch who I'm guessing has the highest position among them came forward and politely bowed, "princess, the royal concubine Hua has heard that you will arrive today and sent you these welcoming gifts."

My future mother-in-law?

How nice of her.

Several men carrying large wooden chests lined up in front of me. The eunuch will present the contents and servants will open the chest. This went on for a while since the eunuch was very detailed of his presentation and there were five chests. Among the gifts, the thing that caught my attention was the last one. It was a bolt of pure black fabric.

Ahh, Dark Shadow.

I wasn't even able to say goodbye to you. Its your fault though. You told me you'd come back again but you didn't show up before I could leave the Western Border.

If fate allows, I would love to meet you again in the future.

I thanked the eunuch and sent my word of gratitude back to the royal concubine. When they left, I slumped down on the seat and sighed.

Tonight, I will be heading to the palace alone. Father wanted to accompany me but there were reports of random attacks on the border that he need to stay back.

The first time I went to the palace, I felt like an outcast and the unwelcoming stares of the other nobles made me uncomfortable.

"Miss, are you not feeling well?"

I looked at Xiao Yu and asked her back, "am I doing the right thing?"

"Miss, I don't know what you have in mind but I trust your judgement." Xiao Yu responded in a comforting manner.

Thank you, Xiao Yu.

I closed my eyes and was planning to take a short nap before preparing for the occasion later but an unwanted visitor decided to come pay me a visit.

"Princess, the second prince Chen Hui requests for an audience." One of the manor's guard announced.

What does he want?

"Let the second prince in."

The doors opened and revealed Chen Hui. He had a wide grin on his face as he leisurely walked forward with his servants in tow.

"Bai Fan! I haven't seen you in a while and now, you're suddenly a princess!" He greeted me cheerfully and made a cursory bow.

I don't know but it gave me the feeling that he was mocking me. We have only seen each other once and we weren't close either so why was he acting this way?

"What brought the second prince to this humble manor?" I bowed back and returned a fake smile.

"I came to see you, of course." He winked.

Since you already saw me, can you leave now?

"Is that so?"

Chen Hui raised his hand and gestured to his eunuch to come forward. He took the small black box the eunuch was carrying and opened it in front of me. It was a bracelet with intricate flower beads.

"Can this prince put this on you?" He asked but didn't even wait for my answer before grabbing my hand.

I tried to pull back but he tightened his grip on my hand, "Prince Chen Hui, my hand..."

"Your hand is so soft." Chen Hui complimented me but I wasn't happy hearing it, instead it gave me the chills.

How brazen!

He slipped the bracelet in my hand and finally let go of me.

"It suits you."

"Prince Chen Hui, I don't think I should be accepting gifts from you." I said and was about to take it off when he stopped me.

"Why not? Its just a small gift," he smirked and gazed his eyes on the wooden chests that were still in the hall, "you even accepted gifts from my mother."

He continued, "to be honest, I came here to change your mind."

Change my mind? About what?

I looked at him questioningly.

"Marry me instead." Chen Hui confidently professed.

I nearly choked after hearing what he said. Did he just proffered for me to join his four wives in his harem?

"The second prince knows how to jest." I laughed, finding him and this whole situation a joke.

"Compared to my brother, I am more capable of giving you a luxurious life," He stated, "I will even give you the title of the first wife."

The smug look in his face makes me want to poke him in the eyes. I am not a violent person but this prince brings out the worst in me. I admit that I am shameless sometimes but Chen Hui beats me. He's beyond outrageous and borderline insane.

But what if Chen Mu turns out to be just like Chen Hui? They're brothers and share the same genes.

I shook my head.

"Prince Chen Hui, if you will excuse me, I need to rest. The journey has exhausted me and I still have to go to the palace this evening." I ignored his earlier statements and pretended to yawn.

"I see," Chen Hui cleared his throat seemingly unhappy with the way I brushed off his proposal, "I'll see you at the palace then."

I bowed at him as a response.

"Bai Fan, think about my offer. If you ever change your mind, come to me. This is the only time I'm giving you this rare chance." He gave me one last look before turning to his servants.

I watched their backs as they disappear from my sight. I sighed in relief.

I took off the bracelet on my hand.

Thanks but no thanks.