Part 6

Takuya smiled proudly at his little brother. "She doesn't need 'everything' - she just needs you. She isn't some society wife who wants to go to lunch and shopping with her friends while her husband works all day. She has been a real partner to you, and she'll continue to be, no matter how you provide for her. There is no reason to put off a wedding - if that's what you want. And once you're married, you'll be able to relax."

"What do you mean?"

"As much as you love her, I know it's difficult for you to be alone with her sometimes." Hisashi ran a hand through his hair in frustration, confirming Takuya's suspicions. "I went through the same thing. Once you marry her, you won't feel the need to be so restrained all the time in your own home. Now that you're living in the same house again- all of that tension is bound to boil over eventually, and how will you feel then?"

Hisashi considered his brother's words. He had some valid points. Just that morning he'd been thinking about being able to hold her close while they slept and waking up with her in his arms. He wanted to hear her call him by his first name. He wanted to be able to relax with her again. He knew he'd been short-tempered lately. It wasn't her fault, not really. He was just... so... frustrated! Ever since they moved back to this apartment.  He kept his distance from her because he knew that he'd go too far one day, and Nao had so much trust in him that she'd never stop him. Takuya was right, he would hate himself if he let them get into a situation where they ended up sleeping together before the time was right. It would be amazing, of course, but it would be wrong. Nao had such a pure heart. She was so good, and she deserved to do things the right way.

"So what you're saying is that we should get married now, before we even graduate?  And just keep going as we have? That's not what you and Yuri did."

"Yuri and I had a different kind of relationship than you and Nao. I'm not saying that getting married so young is the best thing for everyone - and it might not even be the best thing for you and Nao - but I think it's something you and she should consider. Talk it over with her."

"I couldn't even bring this up to Yoshikawa. You know how she jumps to conclusions. If I say the word 'married' or 'engagement', she and her goofy friends will start planning a wedding."

"Would that be so bad? If it meant she were yours for good? No more worrying about some guy at school trying to steal her from you, no more sleeping on the couch when guests come to stay, no more cold showers and waking up in the middle of the night from dreams about her."

"How did you know about..."

Takuya chuckled. "Do you think you're the first man to fall for a woman? I told you, I've been through this."

Hisashi made a face of distaste. "I really don't want to hear things like that about you and Yuri."

"Okay, I won't bring it up again."  Takuya paused to focus on his wife and daughter at the swings and Hisashi noticed how content he looked. Takuya suddenly sat up straighter and reached into his pocket. "I almost forgot. I've brought you something." He drew out a small blue jewelry pouch and held it out. Hisashi loosened the drawstring and dumped the contents into his palm - a simple gold ring with a vine pattern engraved around the outside.

"Is this...?" Hisashi's eyes darted between the ring and his brother.

"Mom's wedding band. Yuri wanted to wear her grandmother's ring, so I saved this for you." He pointed to the inscription on the inside surface. "I think it's fitting."

Hisashi examined the writing and, smiling, gently placed the ring back into the pouch and tied it shut. After he'd tucked the package securely into his pocket, he looked up at his brother. "Thank you." He hoped the simple yet sincere statement conveyed his gratitude.

Takuya looked pleased. "So you'll propose to Nao? Or at least have a long talk about your future?"

"We'll discuss it. When the time is right."

"Don't wait too long. You know better than anyone that if you don't claim her, someone else will."   Again, the idea that Nao would accept a proposal from someone else made Hisashi's gut clench with fear and jealousy. "Now, what were you saying about lunch earlier?"

"You owe us a nice meal for taking care of that crazy daughter of yours. And you need to watch what you say around her. You should have heard the nonsense coming from her this morning, calling Yoshikawa by her first name and saying she was family."

"I'll remind her to address Nao properly, but the other is up to you, little brother." He grinned as he said it. "Now what did you want to eat?"

"Nevermind. We'll go by ourselves today. Apparently, we have some things to discuss."

"The sooner the better."

"But I won't forget about lunch." He stood and headed for the swings and the girls.

"Hisashi."

He turned back to Takuya.

"Mom and Dad would have liked her."

Hisashi nodded once and went to collect Nao.

~ ~ ~

"Yoshikawa!" he called across the playground. "Let's go. I'm hungry."

"I thought we were..."

"I took a rain check. It's just us today."

Nao was confused, but looking forward to spending time with Uehara. Between their school and work schedules, it was rare for both of them to have a whole day off. "Alright. What would you like me to make you?"

"We're going out."

Something was different about him now, she noticed. He seemed lighter, freer. He was actually smiling, which made her smile in return. He took her hand and led her from the park, waving at his brother over his shoulder.

"What were you and Takuya-san talking about?"

"Not much. Brother stuff."

"I'm glad to see you so happy."

"I am. I really am."

"How come?"

"I'll tell you about it over lunch."

"Evening Star?"

"Not this time. I want to have some privacy. That will never happen there."