Chapter 6: Arrival to the Capitol

"So Emelia, Justin... Maybe just Emelia..." Haymitch addresses us at breakfast. Justin is looking thuroughly uninterested. His eye is bruised, barely, but still I gave him a bruise!

"Now things will move quite quickly once you've gotten off the train. Your stylists will make you all 'pretty'" he actually picks up his hands and makes little air quotes. I giggle and he beams with pride because he's gotten a reaction. "I'm sure they won't touch your hair if you just explain its religious significance of whatever you've got going on there. Then you're out in the tribute parade. If you can just make it past today you can make it past anything." He dumps part of his flask into his coffee and I realize all the mentorly advice time is over.

I look down at my mostly untouched plate, suddenly questioning the choice I'm about to make. "Now or never kiddo!" Jonah would always say before he'd get me to do something stupid like tree climbing or hopping the fence to go swimming in a lake. Thinking about him just makes me ache, but I've got to keep going for him.

"We'll be there in 5 minutes so everyone please hurry!" Esme says as she runs through the dining room.

"Now or never," I mumble to myself. I stand up and walk down the hall. The red dress sits on the dischevled bed in my room. I put it on with this bra that completely doubled my chest size. It was like having melons in my shirt! There were even some high heels in one of the smaller cabinets. I out them on and walk confidently out of the compartment.

"Damn." Haymitch raises his eyebrows.

"You've got ankles!" Justin gawks.

"Yes. And?" I say, testing my new found confidence.

"Smiles everyone!!!!" Calls Esme. I can hear the cheers of the crowd before I can even see anyone. The windows black out as we enter a tunnel to the Capitol.

"Smile and wave sweetheart," Haymitch says and bumps my arm with his elbow.

The doors opened quickly and the full force of the crowd hit us. About 100 citizens were lined up in the train station. Justin crammed his fingers into his ears and I fought the urge to do the same.

"Come along children!" Esme smiles, waves, and starts to walk, Justin and I stumble after her.

The people in the crowd are wearing such bright colors and there are happy expressions plastered on their faces. Everything is beautiful and bright and I can't help but wave and smile back. There must be something in the air here.....