The Haunted Exercise Nook

See, it's like this.

The house is ancient; it's a Victorian and it's over a century old. The last owners were pretty random with fixing things up and with adding decorative touches. They were cheap and they didn't have much taste or style. Not like I have much more (or much money), but I still know that the brown - yes, brown - flowered wallpaper in this little semi-room was some of the ugliest stuff I had ever seen.

This area is less than a room, and the back is open; there is no true door. It's just a square of space, into which I have stuffed weights, a yoga mat that sheds little blue bits that end up everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE), and a few books on Pilates from back when I was younger and more ambitious.

One night, I saw it, though. See, the previous owners had died in that house, in that very spot. I figured it out when the real estate agent kind of smoothed everything over. The big sign in the front that said "NOT HAUNTED" did give me pause. Who or what was I to believe? But the next-door neighbors (the ones on the right; the ones on the left are a bunch of college students majoring in beer and marijuana), they said the place was haunted. The old man would be seen in the nook, which is right in the front, second floor.

I came home late one night, and could hear the local church bells ringing. It was midnight. I looked up as I approached, and I saw someone in my house. They were in the nook and - this is weird - they were lifting my weights. And doing Pilates! 

I got my key in the lock as fast as I could. Damned exercise-loving prowler! But by the time I got there, the apparition was gone. However, in the little blue bits, it had arranged them and spelled out on the floor: GET A NEW YOGA MAT.

In the meantime, I think I'll buy me a new yoga mat. And I do have to say, despite being dead, that ghost had awfully good Pilates form.