Prologue

Her hand glided along the rough wooden fence, her fingers acquiring splinters in the process. She ignored this and continued on her way through the thick fog, her hand never leaving the fence. Her posture gave way a set determination and her tightly clenched mouth the grimnesss of what it was she had to do. To the unseen eye, she shuddered and trembled. She didn't want to do this, but she had too.

She stopped. The fog may have been thick but it did not completely obscure her surroundings. She recognized the familiar grove of trees she was in. Silently she let fall her hand from the wooden fence, the only thing that up until then had let it be known to her that this was her reality. What was real was the moment or event that was meant to take place that day. The one she had been trying to avoid all her life.

She carried her feet heavily over the leaf scattered ground. The moist air kept them wet and made damp the hemming of her gown. Her breathing grew shallow and the beatings of her heart quickened their pace. She tried to convince herself that everything was in fact a dream. The rare white fog of the early morning almost convinced her it was so. The world felt silent and empty, gave the feelings of a dream. But the thickening of air clawed at her face telling her a dream would not be possible.

She walked until she saw the silhouettes of the others up ahead. Her stomach sunk and a wave of nausea crashed into her. The nausea deepened as she saw the figure of someone she knew all too well on the ground surrounded by the dark cloaked figures. She took a shuddering deep breath before walking the rest of the way. She pulled her shoulders back and held her head high hoping she looked braver than she felt.

Solemn bows of the head greeted her. Stopping, she stood pale-faced before their leader, John Gage. His eyes quickly flickered over her with a lust that to her didn't go unnoticed.

"Charlotte," John spoke in what sounded a grim tone to the others but to her was filled with eagerness and impatience, "The oath was strictly written and you chose to break its bonds. Now you must face the consequences. " He paused. "Having made your decision you bring us here to accomplish what needs to be done. You may now go forth."

A tear of utter confusion on what was right and what was wrong escaped from what she thought she gave was a calm, expressionless face. But, feeling she had no other choice, she nodded to John's words and turned to the person laying on the ground before them.

With a now tearstreaked face, Charlotte muttered the words that would rid the world and herself of the man of whom she loved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: So this is dedicated to LLaurenCClark for the amazing cover! I absolutely love it!

And this is my first novel on wattpad, so I hope you all like it!

Tell me what you think :)