Chapter 1

"I can't believe you actually saved enough money! This is unbelievable!" Nadine, my best friend cried out. Nadine, you are such a drama queen!

"I guess the hardwork finally paid off. I never expected myself to make it too!" I said, kinda proud of my accomplishment.

"I still don't get what you see in him, Jules. I mean, Maxon's not even hot."

"Oh shut up, Nadine. He's probably tbe only guy who would date a weirdo like me." I said, rolling my eyes.

"A weirdo? Seriously Jules? You call yourself a weirdo? You're pretty and awesome but you just don't show it. Come on. Give yourself a chance. If you keep calling yourself a weirdo then I'm abandoning you. No friend of mine is a weirdo."

"Whatever Nadine. I can always count on you to make me feel good." I said while rolling over my bed.

"Come on I gotta curl your hair. Plus get rid of those glasses! They invented contacts for a reason." She said sternly.

"Yes mom.." I joked before we both burst into laughter.

Nadine is basically my polar opposite. I'm what you would call an anti-social awkward nerd while Nadine, on the other hand is practically everybody's friend. She's not only the captain of the cheer team but also the Vice President of the Student Body. I, on the other hand, am part of no social club and have no intention to do so any time in the near future.

Today's Maxon's sixteenth birthday. Maxon is my boyfriend. We've been dating for almost a year now and I love him to the moon and back. He took a lot of my firsts-- my first kiss, my first boyfriend, and my first love and I intend to make him the last. I was shocked when Maxon asked my out a few months ago. I mean, Maxon is hot and who am I? Just a random wallflower in Losersville. We've never actually had a real conversation before that so it was quite a shocker. So as I was saying, Maxon and I have a date tonight at a fancy restaurant. I even bought three new dresses from the mall just to change my look up a bit. I never really wear dresses so that's a start. I even asked Nadine to do my hair and make-up so that I'd look a bit girlier. Plus, I even purchased contact lenses so that my huge dorky glasses won't cover up my face. Oh! I also worked at a local depot the whole summer just to earn enough money to buy Maxon a new guitar. The things I'd do for this boy. 

"And we're done! Wow! I can't believe you look this good! I guess I underestimated the power of make-up!" She playfully joked.

"Wow!" I looked at myself in the full-length mirror and saw that the beautiful girl in front of me. 

"Thanks a bunch, Nadine! I love you!" I exclaimed while grabbing my purse.

"Are you sure you're not bringing a coat? It's freezing out there!" Nadine asked.

"Nah... Maxon's a gentleman. He'll work things out." I gave her one last wink before leaving the house. 

I walked towards the bus stop which was our usual meeting place. I probably looked weird. I was wearing a sundress amidst the cold weather while carrying a guitar which was bigger than me. The only thing that kept me warm was the scarf that Nadine expertly scarfed around my neck as an accessory. I checked my wristwatch and saw that it was half an hour past our meeting time. That was weird... Maxon's never late. What's taking him so long? 

Two hours have already passed by and he's still not here. I thought of millions of possible reasons why Maxon would be late. His cat must be sick because of the weather. Wait... he doesn't have a cat. He must be visiting his parents. No... his parents are halfway across the country. It's impossible for him to fly that far just to visit them on his birthday. I tried to reassure myself that everything was fine.

"Hey, gorgeous. I haven't seen you in this side of the town." A guy with a husky voice said while sitting beside me.

I cocked my head to the left a bit to see who it was. It was our school bad boy, Ryan. Maxon absolutely hates him so I felt the need to hate him since Maxon is my other half.

"Waiting for your prince to come?" Ryan asked.

Before I had the chance to answer, my ever knight in shining armor arrived. 

"Hey Jules!" Maxon shouted, a bit without breath, from across the street.

"Maxon!" I happily called out. He was finally here! I crossed the street and hugged him as soon as I reached him. I've never missed him this much.

"Look, Jules. We need to talk." He said seriously.

"We are already talking." I said rather confused. This wasn't the usual Maxon. My Maxon would've already apologized for being late. He would've offered me his jacket. He would've bought me a hot cup of coffee. What's wrong?

"I'm breaking up with you." He said.

"Oh, Maxon! Haha. Happy April Fool's. Now let's go." But it was already September. Who am I kidding? I knew this would've happened sooner or later. Only a no-brainer wouldn't be able to see that I would never be good enough for him.

"Jules, I'm serious. I'm really breaking up with you." He said even more sternly.

I stared at him and expected him to burst into a fit of laughter or make a silly face but nothing happened. 

"I'm sorry, Jules. Goodbye." He said, taking one last look at me before walking down the long street.

Tears started making their way down my cheeks. So this was what heartbreak feels like. All the love that I felt. All the hardships that I faced. All the changes that I've made. They were all in vain. This wasn't really true love, was it? If it was true love, then I would be eating pasta in an Italian restaurant with Maxon. I wouldn't be out here alone in the middle of the street on a cold, rainy day crying all alone. I didn't know how long I cried. I felt a warm leather jacket being draped around my shoulders.

"Don't cry, Julia. That guy doesn't deserve someone like you." Ryan said.

I didn't know what took over me at that time but I did something that I never expected I would do. I hugged Ryan. I hugged Ryan Summers, the school bad boy. And in that moment, I've never felt even more secure. Never. It only took him a few seconds to wrap his arms around my back and we were hugging in the middle of a lonely street while it was cold and raining. This looks like a scene from a Korean drama, doesn't it? But my life is no fairytale and I'm no Cinderella. Ryan's a bad boy and he'll never be Prince Charming. 

Even though I'd just experienced my first heartbreak. At that moment, I felt a strong burning passion. A strong burning passion to seek revenge.