Fraternal Reunion

Jack yawned and opened his eyes, blinking in the faint morning light. He groaned and tried to stretch, but he found that he couldn't move due to a weight pinning him. Confused, he looked around, drowsily, at his surroundings. The cave was dank and cool, and the weak sunlight only faintly lit up the interior of the cavern. Jack wriggled and pushed out of the suffocating space he was stuck in with a grunt, and after catching himself he got up and turned around.

"... Oh." Now he remembered. Behind him, Mark was snoring softly, curled up against the back wall. Jack sucked in a deep breath and backed up, trying to fit the whole gargantuan figure in sight. Jesus Christ. I know I've ever only seen, like, two or three giants... but holy shit. He looked over his shoulder, wondering whether to leave the beast be and go before he woke up, or to stay. He wanted to thank Mark for, firstly, not eating him, and also for saving him and offering shelter and protection. But still... he was a giant.

Jack shook his head and backed away. I should just go, before I give him anymore trouble. As he turned to leave, he heard Mark yawn as he rolled over, curling up with his back to Jack. Jack paused, and then hurried to exit the cave. Outside, the wind was lightly blowing, and the moon hung dimly on the horizon. Jack took a deep breath and studied his surroundings, and once he'd figured out where he was he turned toward Los Angeles and started walking.

Even as he made his way to the old city, Jack couldn't help but still think about Mark. Why didn't he kill me? Why is he different from the average giant? Why did he save my life? Many questions cycled through his rapid brain, but none of them came with nor revealed answers. He sighed. Nothing makes any damn sense anymore. He tried to put the giant out of his mind and stopped for a break at some wild berry bushes. They had a sharp tang, but an overall layer of sweetness and juicy. He had quite a few of the red berries before he continued on his way down a slope. The city was just down below.

When he reached the bottom, Jack stopped and looked up at the tall, abandoned city. He whistled in awe, and the note echoed through the empty streets. He sighed. Well, better get searching!

Tyler was puzzled that morning to catch wind of Mark's scent on a breeze. The peaceful giant always refused to go back to the old city, so it caught Tyler's attention quickly. The taller giant rumbled and sat up, sniffing around before looking off into a direction. Strange, he didn't see the familiar giant. Tyler slowly got up, cat stretching before he rose and walked carefully along the tiny streets and tried to not knock any of the buildings down.

He sniffed again, and this time he caught another scent underneath his friend's. Human. His pupils constricted, and Tyler bared his teeth warily. What was a human doing all the way out here in the West? And, even more concerning, why would the human have Mark's scent on it-

Tyler snarled. Unless the human was dangerous. Humans were known to band together to try and take down the giants. Poor Mark was too pure of heart to even try attacking the tiny people. He always told Tyler that they were "cute" and "people just like us." Damn it, Mark! His pacifism must have failed him. He must have finally come across humans and, given the choice, failed to defend himself. And now the human had the audacity to waltz in here, on his territory!

Tyler growled deeply, angry. He wanted revenge now.

There was some good loot in the shops. Jack found some unopened beef jerky, sweets, bottles of water and lots of other good stuff. He even found a backpack to hold it all in. He was currently behind the cashier's desk, in a building that had lost its roof, rummaging through some small pocket treats when he'd discovered an old Roaring Twenties trap door under a beam. Ooo, maybe there's some spare alcohol! After getting the beam off, Jack unlocked it with a key he found hiding in a small container, pulled it open, and then he climbed inside. It was dark, so he turned on a flashlight he'd found and continued down the narrow corridor. He walked up to a metal door and, to his relief, it was unlocked. He grinned and walked inside.