Chapter 4 - Toothpaste

"It's lovely that the two of you decided to come and help me with the monumental task of putting Stella's clothes in the drawers, but I think I can manage on my own."

"Oh, sweetie-pie. Go for that yoga of yours and meditate. I can still see the same vein pulsing in your neck from the moment I arrived," my mother's sister smirked.

I grinned. "You've been here for what, ten minutes? And the entire time was spent crooning around Stella, so I really don't see how you could have kept such an eye on my little vein, Aunt Jillie."

She came behind me, set her hands on my shoulders and started to rub. I closed my eyes and set the tea cup I was holding down on my kitchen counter.

"Child, you're emanating stress. And no, I'm not concluding that simply because of your vein."

I breathed out. "I wouldn't say I'm in a state of nirvana, but I'll be fine." I think.

"I know that. We know that. Your mother is ecstatic, she is. As always, about everything. But this, she swears will be good for you."

"Yes. And she also thinks it would be good for me to live in a castle with a prince." I rolled my eyes, glad she couldn't see them. Aunt Jillie struck a sore spot perfectly, and I moaned.

"Yes, just there. A little more force, though."

She smoothed away the knotted muscles from my back with her strong, steady elbow.

"You need a license as a masseuse."

"Doesn't every mother want that for her daughter? I mean, can you blame her?" Aunt Jillie completely skipped over my comment.

I sighed. "No, of course not. I don't blame her. I just hate to see the disappointment every time I tell her that it won't happen."

"How could you be so sure?"

"Jillie-Bean. Call it weakness, or trauma, or whatever the hell you like. But I don't want to cross that road again."

"You're smarter than to let that happen to you a second time, Tessa. You shouldn't let a past alter your future. But I won't waste my time telling you that, because I know you won't waste your time agreeing with me. And, because I know you're not stupid enough to shut the door closed when something good comes a'knocking."

"Something good?" I asked, mocking her.

"Yes, something good. As in a sexy, big hunk that's tall, dark, and chiseled."

I burst out laughing. There was never a time when my Aunt Jillian's refreshing blend of realism and romanticism did not ease my mood.

"Why the laughter?" My mother came in, leading a hesitant Stella with a hold of her hand.

"We were talking about you."

Aunt Jill snorted. "All good," she said.

My mother just murmured under her breath. Something along the lines of, "crazy redheads always teasing".

And Stella stood carefully behind her, watching her relatives.

My gut twisted, and I wondered if she was scared and uncomfortable. Surely, no matter how young and careless a child may seem to be, no one could be at ease when going through the things Stella was experiencing.

My thoughts were interrupted by the ceasing of bliss on my muscles. My aunt walked away to the fridge for a drink, leaving me only half satisfied. I could've stood there for hours.

"I put Stella's clothes away. The rest of her things come tomorrow on a Penske truck."

I watched Stella, and the way her eyes brightened at the mention of her other things. Like the cosy bed she had always been used to, and whatever else she might have held dear. My heart warmed in relief, knowing there was something she would be looking forward to soon.