Chapter 6

Several hours later and after a very fitful nap, we landed in the Bahamas. Pete grabbed our stuff while Mark led me outside and hailed a cab. We drove to the docks. The ocean was gorgeous, and that’s saying something considering I’ve spent my whole life growing up next to them. We walked down to the farthest ship. It could hardly be called a ship. More like a dinghy was what I saw. Mark must’ve seen my face because he burst into laughter.

“Sorry milady,” He said with a goofy bow, “Our destination isn’t very far, don’t worry!”

“I just hope we don’t sink before we get there! Are you sure this thing can hold all of us?” I asked, wary.

“Don’t worry! This baby could hold an elephant!” Mark said and I snorted. Yeah right… Carefully, I slowly stepped into the boat. Pete leapt in behind me, causing the boat to rock and I screamed. “Don’t do that, Pete!” He looked at me, sheepish, and mumbled,

“Sorry about that.” Mark stood, laughing behind us. I harrumphed and he tried to contain his smile, failing miserably. He jumped aboard, more carefully that Pete and we were off. The wind blew my hair back behind me and I felt better than I had in a long time. The only thing that would make this better is a shower…

“Land ahead!” Pete cried and I looked up. Sure enough, there was an island ahead of us. Mark was steering and he pointed the shaft towards it.

          About ten minutes later, we were beached. Mark cut the small motor and hopped off onto the sand. I tried to stand, but my legs were all shaky and I fell back on my butt. Feeling rather stupid, I shook my legs and tried again. This time I succeeded in exiting the boat and I smiled. It was then that I began to look around. It was beautiful! Palm trees littered the beach and there was even a mountain in the distance! There were houses on stilts further up shore and some people were walking down to us shouting hellos. They all looked related. Same buff, rugged appearance and killer tan, as if they had been out under the sun every day of their life!

“Mark!” One called, “So this is the one?”

“Yup,” he replied with a nod in my direction, “This is Trish! She’s here to kick some ice people butt!” He pumped his fist and I gulped. Oh dear. This whole situation had trouble written all over it. And I still didn’t entirely know what was going on! I stood awkwardly on the sand with my legs crossed, a sign of embarrassment.

“Um…Hey? Trish; that’s me. So, uh, where exactly are we? Yeah, yeah I heard the whole ‘near the Bahamas’ thing but what island is this?” I said turning mainly to Mark.

“This is a private island owned by my grandfather; the leader of our tribe. We call it Koatsu. It’s our main hub.” He replied with a huge grin. He looked so comfortable here, I couldn’t help but notice. “Here,” he said taking my arm, “I’ll show you around the place.” I gulped and let him lead me around to countless buildings and people. They all gave me that reverent, awe-filled stare. It made a shiver crawl down my back. These people expected so much of me. I hardly knew the half of it. There was one thing I could grasp though, and it was that I wasn’t normal and these people weren’t either. The thought made me relax a little. I wasn’t the only one, alone in this. To top it off, Mark was just like me. I cracked a grin at that, and he started staring at me funny.

“What, do I have something on my face?” He said, and he started scrubbing his head with his hands. I burst out laughing.

“Sorry, I was just thinking.” I said softly, “Can I see my dad? My real dad, I mean.” Mark stopped in his tracks and I heard him inhale.

“Are you sure that’s such a good idea? I mean, you just got here. I should show you to where you’ll be standing. I really think—“He began to ramble on but I cut him off.

“I want to see my real father. I’m tired of wondering. I want answers from him. Please, Mark just take me to my dad.” I begged him. Why did my dad leave? Why’d he leave me with those fake people who called themselves my parents? Why did I have these weird powers? My head was swirling with these questions that I had no answers to. I was getting sick of the powerless feeling. It was time to confront the man who left me. Mark hung his head and sighed.

“Fine, if it’s what you really want.” And with that, Mark began to walk again. He stopped in front of a large shabby building that looked as if it had been used way too much. “This is the hospital.” He said and I just stared at him. The place looked pretty nasty. I mean, really, use some bleach please. Wasn’t this where people were supposed to get HEALED? Seemed to me they would just get worse. Mark walked in, not even acknowledging the grime and dilapidation. I followed behind rather dazed. He walked to the front desk and asked a small portly lady if a man named Paul Hartlet was in. The woman’s face dropped.

“I’m sorry,” she said, “but there can be no visitors right now. Paul Hartlet was just moved to the Emergency Room. An ice team raided one of the more distant island bases and he was sent to help. The ice tribe wiped nearly all of them out. Paul was badly injured and he isn’t expected to live the night.”