Flame Thrower

~Chapter 1~

“Honey! If you don’t hurry, you’re going to be late for your first day of high school!” my mother called.

“Yeah, yeah I’m coming.” I grumbled, slowly dragging my feet out of bed. I wearily put on the closest things to me, hoping that they matched. Quickly walking towards the bathroom, I brushed my teeth and combed through my long curly red hair. Briskly scanning my appearance, I dubbed that I didn’t have anything sticking out and my shirt was on correctly so I was ok. One glance at the time sent me racing downstairs, grabbing my lunch and an apple and dashing for the bus. I just barely made it on time. The bus driver, a chubby black lady, bore holes through my forehead and I knew this was going to be a long year. I scanned the bus for an empty seat and found what I was looking for in the very back. Next to all the nerds and uncool people, I thought to myself, mentally slapping myself for not getting here on time. I sat down next to this devilishly hot guy with sandy blonde hair and mocha chocolate eyes. I turned away and grabbed my IPod, sticking the ear buds in and hopefully ending any conversation the guy next to me might try to make. I didn’t want to say anything stupid in front of him on my first day! He obviously had other plans. Although I had turned away from him, he was persistent in getting my attention until I had no choice but to turn off my IPod and listen to what he had to say.

 “Hey, my name’s Marcus but everyone just calls me Mark.” He said, and he stretched out his hand, waiting for mine so he could shake my hand. Reluctantly, I did what he wanted me to.

“I’m Trisha and I can go by whatever; most call me Trish though.”

“Mhm yeah I know…I mean that’s really common.” He said, flustered. Well, that was odd, I thought. Mark chuckled nervously.

 “Yeah I guess so,” I said, “So was there some special reason why you wanted to talk to me or are you just completely bored or something.” I looked away and rolled my eyes. I didn’t really feel like talking to this guy anymore; hot or no.

 “Well, actually I was wondering if I could tag along with you today. I’m kind of new here and well, it’d be nice to have someone to point me in the right direction.” He replied.

“Hate to break it to you, but just about everybody on this bus is new. This is the freshman bus, aka the bus filled with newbs.” I said sarcasm evident.

“Oh, uh well then can I just stick with you because we kind of ‘know each other’. You’re, I guess, a familiar face.”  He said, almost pleading. What was up with this guy?

“Um how can you be familiar with my face when we’ve only known each other for about five minutes?” I said, really peeved. This guy was a strange one that was for sure. I mean talk about desperate!

“Ok well this might sound weird, but I feel like I’ve known you forever! You look a lot like someone I know. Like, A LOT alike.” Mark said with so much conviction, I was close to having pity on the poor, lost soul. Almost, but not quite.

 “I’m sorry but THAT is just plain creepy!  I really would like to be left alone thank you very much!” I said turning my back on him. Suddenly, the bus hit a bump and I was flung over to his side of the seat. When I finally opened my eyes, I found myself sitting on his lap! He was grinning like a madman and I turned the shade of my hair!

 “Ohmygosh! Talk about klutzy!” I said rambling, “I am really sorry about that…” I faded away as I turned to look up into those deep, chocolate eyes of his. As, I got up to scoot back over to my side of the seat, I brushed up against his chest. Gosh, I could feel his abs under his shirt! Mark looked amused at the face I must have been making. This guy was gorgeous and had a pack! Maybe I should let him tag along. It would make a good impression on the first day… “Ok sure I’ll help you along today though I can’t tell you that I can help you much. I’m as new as you are. I guess we’ll have to figure this place out together.” I mentally kicked myself for saying such a sappy remark. Mark just beamed. It made me happy to see him smile like that. Geez, he had a nice smile...NO! I was not going down THAT road! I had just met the guy and he needed a friend so I would be just that and nothing more. The bus rolled to a squeaky stop and I looked out onto the campus that would be my prison for the next four years. If we didn’t move again, that is.