Chapter 5 - Bedtime Story

I grabbed Aunt Alicia's Night Scandal off the kitchen counter and went to my room. I flopped on the bed and called Naomi, filling her in on the details of my conversation with Scott. It was all good until I remembered Dakota asking Scott about Ted's party Friday.

“What does that mean?” I asked. “Scott not inviting me?”

“I wouldn't worry about it,” Naomi said. “I asked around. It's strictly beer and pretzels—poker night with Ted Timmons and some of his buddies from the team.”

“So why is Dakota gonna be there?”

“Why is Dakota anywhere?” Naomi said.

“Because she's hot and popular and can do whatever she wants.”

“Yeah, but that doesn't mean Scott and her are gonna do anything. Not when he's already made plans with you.”

“Thanks,” I said. “That makes me feel a little better.”

My BFF snapped and chewed gum in my ear. “You got what you wanted, didn't you? You're going out with Scott. Be happy for once.”

I heard my parents arguing in their bedroom down the hall. Well, not so much arguing as Mom letting Dad know what a failure he was.

“Wow. My parents are having a total blow-out. Again.”

Naomi let out a long sigh. “I don't know why they even bother to stay together. My parents get along better than ever since they split up.”

Which was true. Naomi never complained about the divorce—well, not too much—but deep down, I knew she still hoped her parents would get back together someday. I did too.

“So whatcha gonna wear for Scott?” she asked.

“I dunno. All my clothes suck.”

Naomi laughed. “They don't all suck, they're just not sexy. Why don't you stay over at my house Friday? We can get you a new dress at the mall.”

“Thanks, but I don't have any money.”

“No problem,” she said. “It'll be your Christmas present.”

“Really? Thanks! That'd be awesome.”

My parents' bedroom door slammed. I heard Dad banging around the liquor cabinet.

“Hey,” I said, “Scott wants to meet me at eight, but my curfew's ten. That doesn't give us time for dinner and a movie. Could I sleep over at your place Saturday night too? That way, you can cover for me and I can stay out late.”

“Good idea,” Naomi said. “Too bad it won't work. My dad's picking me up at noon.” Her dad, Jamal, lived half an hour away in Tacoma. She stayed at his apartment every other weekend, and of course, this had to be one of them.

“Damn. Well, I'll figure something out. Either skip dinner, or make sure it's a short movie. Talk to you tomorrow.”

We hung up and I let my head rest against the pillows, thinking about my future. Naomi was right; I was finally getting what I wanted, so why I couldn't I be happy?

I took my aunt's book from my nightstand. On the cover, a masked bandit in a powdered wig clutched a swooning lady lost in his embrace. I skimmed pages until I came to a juicy part:

Lady Margret shivered in delight. The burning embers of the campfire cast her lover's flesh in an erotic, orange glow—a glow as hot as the flame that burned within her fevered breast. With every violent kiss, every aching caress, Margret's passion grew more wild, more dangerous, until at last, she knew she was shameless.

“Margret, my love,” the rakish highwayman said as he tore his hungry mouth from hers. “You shall never go back to your cruel Prince! Together, we will be one in this life and the next.”

“Yes,” Margret whispered through trembling lips. “Yes! Oh, yes!”

They made mad, passionate love, with only the silent moon and stars to bear witness. Theirs was a union of the soul as much as the flesh, a bond more meaningful than any vow or promise, for it was one they intended to fulfill again and again.

And as the scandal of night gave way to the break of dawn, the prince's soldiers closed in.

Now that was the kind of danger and excitement I craved! Even without the fancy palaces and horse-drawn carriages, would my date at least be somethinglike that?

I closed my eyes, imagining I was on the misty moors with Scott. Our enemies surrounded us, torch-lit shadows clutching cold steel. I felt the fear, the thrill of desire, as Scott took my hand and we plunged into darkness.

For more about the Author, visit www.JacksonDeanChase.com

© 2014 Jackson Dean Chase. All Rights Reserved.