Chapter 6 (FINAL)

Chapter 6 - Vic - Like We Used To

The beach has always been one of my favorite places, especially after all the other people have left. Some might complain about the sand being annoying or the water being too cold, but not me. This is something Kellin likes to regularly point out—how my so-called perfectionism seems to fade away when I’m there, how I actually start to “loosen up”. And as much as I don’t want to think about Kellin right now, what he says is true. The beach calms me. So that’s where I’m headed.

I try not to smile at the thought of what his reaction will be when he discovers that I chased after him, stole our car, and took off without it. He does these types of things to me all the time, so now the joke’s on him.

I wonder if he’ll find me, I think, unconsciously hoping that he will. He knows me well enough. It shouldn’t be too hard.

Then I remember that we broke up, that he walked out on me, that I let him, and my smile disappears. Of course he won’t come after me. He hates me.

And I hate him, I remind myself. I hate him because he’s selfish and rude and impulsive and childish and obnoxious and…

But those words are starting to lose their meaning. I turn the radio on and blare it to prevent myself from thinking too much about him.

The sun is beginning to set by the time I reach the beach. There are still a few people hanging around from what I can tell, but for the most part, it’s pretty empty. That’s how I like it.

I sit down in the sand and pull my legs up to my chest, letting the breeze brush over me. The sun is a bright orange, causing the water to shimmer. Automatically, I think, I wish Kellin was here.

No, you don’t, I tell myself. He’ll just ruin it anyways. He’s infuriating.

But I can imagine him here, sitting next to me with his head on my shoulder, turning to give me a soft peck on the lips. It’s happened before, and I want it back.

I’ll never forget the day we started dating.

Kellin had been acting a little weird lately, and I didn’t really understand why. On that particular day, he texted me and told me to go outside and check what was on my back porch. Confused, I did, and found a wrapped piece of chocolate placed in front of me. A few feet away, there was another. And another.

It didn’t take me long to realize that this was a trail, and I followed it into the woods behind my house. Just as I was nearing the end, something hit my head, and I looked up to see Kellin sitting in a tree with a chocolate box in his hands. The thing he’d just thrown at me was another piece.

"Hey, Victor," he said casually.

I raised my eyebrows. “What are you doing?”

"Oh, you know. Just…hanging around.”

I snorted. “Ha, ha.”

"Come up here with me," he said, waving the box around.

"What? I can’t climb a tree."

"You know you want to," he sang.

"Okay, fine. If I die, it’s your fault." With that, I reluctantly started to climb up the tree.

It was a bit more difficult than I’d expected, and Kellin seemed to like watching me struggle. “You okay there?” he asked, amused.

I pulled myself up onto the branch that he was sitting on. “Yep. So, why’d you bring me up here?”