The Screw Up

Mr. Smith gripped the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger and sighed. He opened his eyes to stare across the table at his two associates in apparent disbelief.

“That’s every plan inda fuckin’ flat drawahs, I tollya that already.”

Mr. Smith spoke at last, although it was an effort to remain calm. “These are plans for major appliances. Do you think our client wants to build a better refrigerator?”

“That’s whereya sedda look. Am I sumkine ah mind readah?”

“You didn’t even take a look at what it was you were stealing?”

“Jesus H. Christ, Harry, help me out heah.”

“When yah inna place illegally, it behooves yaddah geddoudda dayah, like, expeditiously?”

“Annott siddaroun readin fuckin blueprince.”

“Well, next time you’ll have to be more careful.”

“Next time, wheyah?”

“Tomorrow night. Same place. You will need to break in again before they upgrade the security. I will make contact with our source and gather some more information.”

“You wannusda hiddit again? Dat’s a foist.”

“Izzanat kine ah risky?”

“With what we're paying you, you will be well compensated. If you can get the job done.”

“Hey, don’t worry abaddit, we’ll get the jawb done, like always. Just tell me it’s gawnna be woith it. Whut’s the contract foah?”

“Let that be of no concern to you. You’ll be paid your usual rates in good time. And there will be a bonus if there’s no police involvement.”

“And who’s da fuckin buyah? You still haven’t tole us that.”

“Who cayahs, I say, as lawng as they gawt the dough.”

“I still wanna know.”

“The buyer is a highly motivated party with a lot of money. There’s nothing else that you need to know about him. Suffice it to say that the less you know about this particular party, the better it’ll be for you. He doesn’t appreciate notoriety.”

“Oh, but it’s okay fawr you to know. Fuckin mystery man yasself, huh, is dat it?”

“I don’t get it. Why Tawrawnna? Why not D.C. or the City like always? Whut could pawssibly be up heah? They staht sharin’ da wealth?”

“That is the way of it today. Everybody makes a small piece, and nobody sees the big picture, so to speak.”

“Makes ouah fuckin job a lawt tougha, ya know?”

“I’m certain they didn’t have your convenience in mind when they set it up. Besides, it just means we can charge more for our services.”

“Fan-fuckin-tastic.”

“Just whut I wanted da heah. Awright, then. Fuck me. Guess weah goin’ back dah Ultimate Diecastin.”