Preface

A porcelain white wolf towered like a giant in the cobblestone hallway casting spindling shadows along the jagged brick walls. The beast growled, its jowls rumbling with the thunderous sound. It held its hackles high and trembled as it slowly closed it on its diminishing prey. The wolf could hear the faint pounding of the heart ringing through its ears and making the tips of its teeth curl. If he could complete the final step to the ritual it would all be over.

The moonlight mirrored off of the sparkling blood in the wolves matted coat as it trembled over the fallen foe. The wolf snarled and laced its canines around the other animal’s heart and yanked it out of its chest. The copper taste was awful, and the wolf quickly spat the thumping heart onto the ground. His opponent was still and there was no whisper of breathing.

Schuyler transformed from wolf to human and balanced himself on his shaky feet. He picked the heart up into his hands and swallowed down bile as blood trickled between his fingers and dripped noisily onto the floor. The hall was filled with other humans his age. They were holding their breath in anticipation. Would he complete the ritual or would he be exiled?

Schuyler closed his eyes and took a deep breath, making sure not to breathe in the scent to blood with his nose and sank his teeth into the heart. Bit by bit he forced it down as the thumping halted in his hands. He had swallowed the whole heart and crimson blood was all that was left in his hands.

The hall exploded with applause and through the nauseous feeling in his stomach, Schuyler forced himself to smile.