Chapter 2 - Jordan's Birthday

Outside it was fairly quiet, only the sound of the Mediterranean waves gently tumbling on the white sandy beaches of their island could be heard.

They were all silent as a small fireball slowly flew up into the sky about fifty metres in front of them.

“Phoenix?” Liam questioned.

“Been practising every night, can’t believe you haven’t noticed.” Claire shook her head, smiling.

“We have,” Amy informed.

“Oh.”

Claire’s pet Phoenix stopped in mid-air and spun super-fast like a Catherin wheel, sparks of orange fire spurting out in intricate patterns like some sort of exploding sun. The wheel of fire grew larger spectacularly.

“Wow,” Jordan said, astounded. Liam felt himself shifting his weight to his heels and leaning back in amazement.

The wheel slowly changed colours from orange to red, to purple and blue and finally to a misty grey, which faded into the night.

Suddenly the wheel exploded, yellow strikes lighting up the sky. The phoenix disappeared and the fireworks started.

Jets of blue, purple and green flew up into the dark night sky, exploding in special shaped things like carrots, chickens and...

“Dracaenae, that’s amazing. How did you do that?” Jordan pondered as the very familiar looking serpent women appeared in the sky.

“Well I needed a little help from Jay, but mostly my ideas and creations,” Claire replied.

The fireworks continued to shoot up and light up the dark night, it seemed they would go on forever.

Liam thought to himself ‘I wonder if those mortals on the neighbouring island can see this, they’d think the fireworks were coming from the sea.’

The twelve had decided not to leave the island they lived on, only by the portal, which they only realised was a portal last summer.

They’d found out their island was on the east side of Malta and just under Sicily. Hecate had told them in July that their island was entirely Greek so could not be seen by mortals. Well that dragged up the question: what would happen if a mortal saw them? What would they see? A strange person walking on air over the Mediterranean Sea? And what would happen if a boat sailed through the island?

Obviously none of those questions had been answered, for they had not been able to contact the gods. None of the gods contacted any of them through their thoughts either, so they just hoped no one would ever sail through their way.